Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Diet Drinks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Diet Drinks

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 21, 2014 3:14 pm

So I am sitting here with a splitting headache and feeling downright woozy. I tried a new "zero calorie" diet drink this morning...the brand is Sparkling Ice.

Urf. I feel terrible. Diet colas and Dr. Pepper doesn't bother me, (they use Aspartame), but Sucralose is not nice.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Diet Drinks

by Hoke » Wed May 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Pshaw, just takes a little time for the body to adjust to a new drug, thassall.

It will probably recede to just a mild background headache after a few sodas. 8)
no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

by Harry Cantrell » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Sorry you feel bad, but there is no proof of cause and effect here. Sucralose can cause diarrhea in high doses, but your complaints are not usual for this- if you are brave, wait a few days until you feel better then try a drink again. As long as there is no placebo effect, you will know better a cause and effect.
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Harry, I appreciate your sage advice to Brian, but wow, all that in order to keep a diet soft drink down? Mother nature made clean water for a reason....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I never understood water with chemicals
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Diet ginger ale is my "poison" of choice. Flavor is good without any weird diet stuff. Water gets really boring after a while.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:49 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Water gets really boring after a while.

That's what wine is for! :wink:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:20 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Water gets really boring after a while.

That's what wine is for! :wink:

Tell my boss. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Diet ginger ale is my "poison" of choice. Flavor is good without any weird diet stuff. Water gets really boring after a while.

One has to appreciate it for it's lack of taste, more as a texture thing (when cold) and refresher. Which I do. But I sure know a lot of people who don't! In fact I know a lot of people who are practically addicted to Diet Coke--you'd think it contained nicotine, considering the extent to which they drink only that and lots of it daily.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Diet Coke does contain caffeine.

Personally I prefer the taste of sucralose to aspartame. I do wish we could bring cyclamate back.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Diet Coke does contain caffeine.

Personally I prefer the taste of sucralose to aspartame. I do wish we could bring cyclamate back.

-Paul W.

True; I completely forgot about the caffeine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Jenise wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Diet ginger ale is my "poison" of choice. Flavor is good without any weird diet stuff. Water gets really boring after a while.

One has to appreciate it for it's lack of taste, more as a texture thing (when cold) and refresher. Which I do. But I sure know a lot of people who don't! In fact I know a lot of people who are practically addicted to Diet Coke--you'd think it contained nicotine, considering the extent to which they drink only that and lots of it daily.

Don't get me wrong, I drink a lot of water. But I like flavor too. Guess I'm not cool enough for the food board.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:28 pm

About the only way I drink diet soda is by mixing Diet Coke with regular Dr. Pepper, 50/50. I like this because the drier Diet Coke cuts the syrupy Dr. Pepper while maintaining the Dr. Pepper flavor (which I've always liked). Unadulterated diet sodas seem to make me feel queasy if I have more than a few ounces. I don't remember cyclamates doing that, but it's been a very long time since I had any drink made with that stuff.

As for water, I drink it for maintenance only. If given a choice, I'll take iced tea or soda or sparkling water or iced coffee over plain water.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:48 am

I'm getting deja vu because I think we've had this conversation before about daily drinks. (But what's an internet board without recurring conversations!)

Personally, 95% of the liquid I consume is water. (And yes, the other 5% is wine/alcohol!) I'm too sensitive to caffeine (although the clearly the taste profiles of tea and coffee are exquisite, just like wine). And I eat massive amounts of fruit daily, so have no need for fruit juice or other flavored beverages, because taste-wise they don't offer me the clarity of actual fruit and then as discussed in this thread they are so often filled with undesirable ingredients.