Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fresh porcini recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Fresh porcini recipe?

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 23, 2014 1:23 am

In my favorite local grocery today, beside the bags of fresh morels was a bin of fresh porcini, a sight never before seen in this small burgh. They are by no means cheap (naturally) so I am trolling for good ideas about what use to put them to to best show off their fresh porcini-ness. Risotto al funghi I know, but what else? Are there recipes where fresh are definitely better suited than dried?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Fresh porcini recipe?

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 am

Mark, not to put you off, but to avoid the possibility of a surprise, here's something you may want to know about fresh porcini:

A final thought to keep in mind when buying porcini mushrooms is that worms like them just as much as humans do. Examine the stalk for small holes. If you find them, stand the mushroom up on its cap and they'll eat their way out of the stem.

You may still have to pick out some small worms after chopping. They are harmless and quite common, so if you do accidentally eat a few you'll be fine!

Actually, this entire article is worth a read. (No other unpleasant surprises):
http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/po ... rooms.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 24, 2014 1:45 am

Mark, once at a foodie weekend away I went to in Alaska, we made a fresh savory pie out of porcinis. I don't have a recipe to share, but we softened some onions then added the porcinis to sweat them down too, lots of both, then combined with herbs and enough custard to fill an open pie shell. Bake and eat. OOH LA LA. Super fantastic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 25, 2014 12:25 am

Here's one from the old board that was an absolute eye-opener for me (and several others who've had it). It does involve soft-cooked eggs, which is an issue for some folks.

Yanigers Terrina Fonduta
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child