Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Hundred-Foot Journey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

The Hundred-Foot Journey

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 29, 2014 7:45 pm

This one looks pretty interesting, if only because I like food and Helen Mirren!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980648/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: The Hundred-Foot Journey

by Jenise » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:08 pm

I thought this was going to be about your knee. :)

But I know of the movie, and would add Lasse Hallstrom to the list of reasons that I too want to see this movie. (Remember 'My Life As A DOg'?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 am

ok, went last night.
Pluses: beautiful southern France landscapes, fun performances by Helen Mirren and Om Puri, well filmed, some good food scenes, a few good supporting roles especially the son-in-law & mayor, Charlotte Le Bon is very cute
Minuses: a bit formulaic though maybe that is required for a dramedy/romcom, some trite writing, cultural stereotyping, the main character lacked a little believability (not sure the actor at fault, goes back to the writing, he did ok in his too numerous "look soulful" shots).
From a food standpoint some great ingredient shots. I thought a few of the "spice it up" shots were a bit much. While one can almost buy the savant who picks up classic French cuisine in a flash, I think the idea that in less than a year someone with zero experience with molecular cuisine could be the top MC chef in Paris is absurd.
But overall we enjoyed (and then went next door to an Indian restaurant, where alas they didn't have sea urchin or crayfish)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 am

Dale Williams wrote:While one can almost buy the savant who picks up classic French cuisine in a flash, I think the idea that in less than a year someone with zero experience with molecular cuisine could be the top MC chef in Paris is absurd.

Yeah, that's a pretty big stretch.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:25 am

MG is just too much about science, not just talent.
Just read the AO Scott review, he says they screwed up by putting oil in hollandaise, but I think he conflated character making mayonnaise in one shot and presenting sauces in next- I'd have to watch again if to see if the shot with the olive oil was actually supposed to be hollandaise. Saw that Floyd Cardoz oversaw food.