Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grass fed beef in the Midwest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Grass fed beef in the Midwest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:29 pm

To my great sadness, I had to pass up a chance to dine last week with Joy and her boyfriend in Omaha. We had planned to be there by dinner time one evening but got too far behind in our journey and didn't end up passing through Omaha until the next noon. With a deadline destination, we had to just blow through but while there I did stop long enough to pick up a consolatory Omaha rib eye to grill later that night at a campsite outside of Peoria Illinois.

We purchased it at a Whole Foods Market, lacking any other local knowledge. Had to laugh though as the butcher who special cut the extra thick ribe eye for two I wanted, informed me that my beef had been proudly grown by Dr. Patricia and Mark Whisnant--in Missouri.

Very unmarbled and lean compared to what I see in the west, so I had some concern about the outcome but I have to attest that it was the most finely flavored and textured steak I can remember having in a long time. Turned everything I believe about marbling being needed for flavor and tenderness completely on its head!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: Grass fed beef in the Midwest

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:21 pm

So sorry we missed you! Haley and I were so looking forward to meeting you. Glad you got to try a great steak and hope you made it to your destination on time. Safe travels back home!