Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kentucky restaurant abolishes tipping ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Kentucky restaurant abolishes tipping ...

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:51 am

What does everyone think? Is this a good idea? Would it work?

Kentucky Restaurant Utilizes Interesting Alternative to Tipping

There's a Kentucky restaurant that has completely abolished tipping, and contrary to what you might expect, it actually looks like it might be great for their servers.

Since Packhouse Meats restaurant in Newport, Kentucky opened in January, it's had signs posting everywhere making clear that tips are not part of the transaction process. The credit card slips don't even leave a line for tips. You might think this would screw servers over...except Packhouse's owner, Bob Conway, actually did it in order to protect servers:

"I've heard the horror stories – $3 left on a $100 tab," he said. "How much a server makes has nothing to do with how hard they work. Servers had quit because they couldn't make ends meet."

I feel that so goddamn hard. Every server who's done the job for any extended period of time has at least one story like that — I had a family run my ass ragged for two hours at Applebee's and leave $5 on a $125 for no discernible reason other than simple fuckery.

The trick to what Conway is doing, however, is that it isn't a simple hourly: servers get paid either $10/hour OR 20% of their food sales, whichever is higher. Unsurprisingly to anyone who's ever worked as a server, Conway reports that it's almost always the over for servers.

Full story continues on Kitchenette ...
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/kentucky ... 1587892563