Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seen in Gillette, Wyoming

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Seen in Gillette, Wyoming

by Jenise » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 pm

IMG_1459.JPG

"Artificially colored". No shit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Seen in Gillette, Wyoming

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:25 pm

The left or the right? :shock:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Those look like those garishly colored fish paste things they sell in Japanese markets.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Those look like those garishly colored fish paste things they sell in Japanese markets.

Don't they? And yet, as you can tell from the display, this grocer expects to sell as many of those shocking fake pink things as he does the other which are probably no less artificial but at least they look normal. Gillette was an odd place--it's a town run, and ruined by, coal. The interstate runs right through the middle of a jaw-droppingly ginormous and deep mining pit, and the people I saw have mostly come there because of it, covering that stretch of bald-ass prairie with the fast food drive-thrus, cheap motels and, ahem, 'tanning salons' typical of what, in modern times, amounts to a goldrush. Case in point, here's where you buy gas:

IMG_1456.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm

My guess is that you would find similar products in 90% of large US grocery stores. Am I wrong?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:28 pm

At least gasoline is relatively cheap!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:My guess is that you would find similar products in 90% of large US grocery stores. Am I wrong?

Weiners yes. But not hideously bright pink weiners.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Jenise wrote:Case in point, here's where you go for gas:

IMG_1456.JPG

I think I've seen a bordello with that name, too.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Those look like those garishly colored fish paste things they sell in Japanese markets.

Don't they? And yet, as you can tell from the display, this grocer expects to sell as many of those shocking fake pink things as he does the other which are probably no less artificial but at least they look normal. Gillette was an odd place--it's a town run, and ruined by, coal. The interstate runs right through the middle of a jaw-droppingly ginormous and deep mining pit, and the people I saw have mostly come there because of it, covering that stretch of bald-ass prairie with the fast food drive-thrus, cheap motels and, ahem, 'tanning salons' typical of what, in modern times, amounts to a goldrush. Case in point, here's where you buy gas:

IMG_1456.JPG

Um..........wow.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I somehow have a vision of you running out of the store screaming.....
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:04 am

Christina Georgina wrote:I somehow have a vision of you running out of the store screaming.....

At the pink hot dogs or the gas station? Not sure which was scarier. :)

But hey, I'll tell you what I was doing in that department. I love tooling around grocery stores in other places to see what's different. Increasingly, the answer is very little, the regional differences that once existed having been homogenized by television advertising and industry giants like Kraft. One area where regional products still seem to have some traction is sausage, however, so I tend to cruise that department to see whazzup. On this trip, in which I passed through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana all over again, and visited supermarkets in most, I saw very little out of the ordinary except for these bright pink dogs. And Gillette was the only place I saw them. (Tom T, there's a more complete response to your statement.)
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 pm

I can remember as a small child going on a trip with my parents through the southern states. As I recall all the hot dogs I saw were those nasty ones with a pinkish red exterior. This was in the late 1940's. It was quite a shock for this little boy to see what they had done to one of his favorite foods!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Not pink, but bright red ones are available throughout Northern New England; but not in our house!