Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Artichoke-olive palmiers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Artichoke-olive palmiers

by Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:02 pm

As someone who entertains frequently and likes to have little things in the freezer I can whip out and serve up fairly readily, one of my new loves is palmiers. A palmier is a square of puff pastry that is spread with something, then each end is rolled or folded several times toward the middle, then the two halves are folded against each other to make a U shape. At this point, they can be wrapped well and frozen. The work goes fast: today, using Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry, I made eight of them, two different flavors, in about half an hour.

Great for the holidays or any time unexpected company arrives, I'll pull one out, defrost it lightly in the microwave, cut into 3/8" slices, and bake on slilpat lined baking sheets. From start to presentation, I'll have these on the table in about 15 minutes. They're beautiful, aromatic, tasty and very wine-friendly. Each pastry sheet will yield about 20 palmiers.

I've been experimenting with fillings, and perhaps our very favorite is the artichoke-green olive combination, so I'll share that recipe.

First, that two boxes Peppridge Farm Puff Pastry sheets (4 sheets). Lay flat on floured board, and use a rolling pin to lightly spread them flat and increase the size by about an inch.

Into a food processor, put:

1 10 oz jar stuffed olives, well drained, pimentos discarded
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and squeezed
2 pinches dried basil
1 tblsp EVOO
About four tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
About half a teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Whiz until coarsely ground. Using a soft spatula, divide the mixture between the four pastry sheets and spread end to end.

To fold, grab both southern corners and fold about one inch of pastry toward the center. The grab the northern corners and do the same. Repeat two more times until the two pieces of folded pastry meet in the middle (you do want them about touching, a snug fit will produce a better looking palmier). Fold the two halves together to make a U shape.
These can now be wrapped individually and frozen.

To serve, cut into 3/8" slices and arrange on a silpat lined baking sheet. Don't crowd, they'll triple in size, but they'll all fit on one sheet. Bake at 375 for about ten minutes.
Last edited by Jenise on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RCP: Artichoke-olive palmiers

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Jenise wrote:perhaps our very favorite is the artichoke-green olive combination, so I'll share that recipe.

OMG! I'm ravenous just from reading it! I must make this ...
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:28 am

This does sound good. Could you also substitute pre-made tapenade for the olives? Perhaps about 1/4-1/3 cup would be equivalent to the 10-oz jar of olives after removing pimentos, draining and chopping.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:21 am

Would you care to share some of your other recipes, Jenise? Nobody in our kind of oddly configured semi-joint household likes olives.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Martha, welcome to the forum. Tapenade? Sure. I'd use at least half a cup though. What I'm calling for here is loosely a cup of unchopped green olives. And there'd probably be no need to add the basil and possibly the olive oil--your tapenade's seasoned and probably has some olive oil liquidity to it.

Cynthia, I understand re the no-olive types. But I offer you this: my husband would rather die than eat a pimiento stuffed olive, and he loves this. And a friend who hates all olives loved them, too. The olives, which are here in about a 1:2 ratio by voluem, kind of season the artichokes and it's semi-likely that if you didn't mention the 'o' word none would figure it out. If that seems too risky, though, the other two ways I've made them are to sprinkle a little parmesan on the pastry, then line it end to end with proscuitto, then sprinkle a little more parmesan (it's both glue AND flavor), sometimes with a sprinkle of dry basil. And the other is a food processor mixture of sun-dried tomatoes, red bell pepper, onion, basil and oregano, and of course parmesan.

Note to all: you must use an imported parmesan (or grana padano). None of that domestic stuff that turns to rubber instead of melting. And of course, it goes without saying, I hope: no green can!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:28 pm

Thanks, Jenise! They all sound delicious to me. I might try to slip the olive one by them....
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:30 pm

Jenise wrote:As someone who entertains frequently and likes to have little things in the freezer I can whip out and serve up fairly readily, one of my new loves is palmiers. A palmier is a square of puff pastry that is spread with something, then each end is rolled or folded several times toward the middle, then the two halves are folded against each other to make a U shape. At this point, they can be wrapped well and frozen. The work goes fast: today, using Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry, I made eight of them, two different flavors, in about half an hour.

Great for the holidays or any time unexpected company arrives, I'll pull one out, defrost it lightly in the microwave, cut into 3/8" slices, and bake on slilpat lined baking sheets. From start to presentation, I'll have these on the table in about 15 minutes. They're beautiful, aromatic, tasty and very wine-friendly. Each pastry sheet will yield about 20 palmiers.

I've been experimenting with fillings, and perhaps our very favorite is the artichoke-green olive combination, so I'll share that recipe.

First, that two boxes Peppridge Farm Puff Pastry sheets (4 sheets). Lay flat on floured board, and use a rolling pin to lightly spread them flat and increase the size by about an inch.

Into a food processor, put:

1 10 oz jar stuffed olives, well drained, pimentos discarded
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and squeezed
2 pinches dried basil
1 tblsp EVOO
About four tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
About half a teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Whiz until coarsely ground. Using a soft spatula, divide the mixture between the four pastry sheets and spread end to end.

To fold, grab both southern corners and fold about one inch of pastry toward the center. The grab the northern corners and do the same. Repeat two more times until the two pieces of folded pastry meet in the middle (you do want them about touching, a snug fit will produce a better looking palmier). Fold the two halves together to make a U shape.
These can now be wrapped individually and frozen.

To serve, cut into 3/8" slices and arrange on a silpat lined baking sheet. Don't crowd, they'll triple in size, but they'll all fit on one sheet. Bake at 375 for about ten minutes.

I thought with the holidays just around the corner it would be worthwhile to revive this thread. I have been making several versions of these with the most often-made one being spinach and feta cheese. These are a big hit at parties. I usually just roll in one direction making pinwheels. I have also made them palmier-style with gruyere and prosciutto.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 pm

As usual, another great sounding recipe from you! Can't wait to make these. I used to make mushroom palmiers and keep them in the freezer. I need to restock with some new flavors

Coming out of lurkdom,
Traci
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:37 pm

TraciM wrote:As usual, another great sounding recipe from you! Can't wait to make these. I used to make mushroom palmiers and keep them in the freezer. I need to restock with some new flavors

Coming out of lurkdom,
Traci

Hey! Nice to see you back.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:02 pm

TRACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!

My god, girlfriend, we thought you wuz lost forever.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:10 pm

Traci!

I didn't recognize you with a new handle! Welcome back!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:05 pm

TraciM wrote:Coming out of lurkdom,
Traci

Yaayyyyyy!!!

Welcome back, Traci! I hope all's well.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:21 am

Thanks for the warm re-welcome, gang. I might not have been postin' during my hiatus, but I was definitely using this board as a source for recipes. I use that search engine ALL THE TIME!

Still cooking and drinking....

Traci
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:34 am

%^)

Hey Jenise !

Kathleen wants to know if the recipe would be better with canned artichokes in water or marinated artichokes in jars ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Bill, use the marinated artichokes--they're impregnated with more flavor, and more flavor's better!
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:42 am

Jenise wrote:To serve, cut into 3/8" slices and arrange on a silpat lined baking sheet. Don't crowd, they'll triple in size, but they'll all fit on one sheet. Bake at 375 for about ten minutes.

%^)

Happy Monday Jenise !

Whipped up a double batch of these yesterday for a party we're having on the 29th ... baked 1 of the 4 to see how they would turn out ... each palmier stayed the same size as what Kathleeen and I cut from the roll - didn't grow in size a bit ... also took nearly 20 minutes to turn a golden brown - oven thermometer said 375 degrees ...

What did we do wrong ?

P.S. They were VERY good, however ... great combination of artichoke and green olive flavors that were not at all overpowering and the pastry was light and rich tasting ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:32 am

Bill, the puff pastry didn't puff? I don't even know what to make of that, Bill, Pepperidge Farm works for me every time, and this recipe was written right after I'd made a batch and therefore it documented exactly what worked. That yours took a little more time--well, differences in thickness, ovens and temperature of the dough can account for that. But your palmiers should have puffed up to at least twice their raw height and expand about an inch in width.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Made a batch of these for Christmas dinner last night.

1 cup green olives
1 cup black olives
bunch of thyme
bunch of basil
LIttle bit of olive oil
jar of artichokes, drained
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
1 garlic clove smashed
Whiz it around in the food processor
Spread on the puff pastry
Fold it up and refreeze.
Slice and bake at my sister-in-law's house.
Use the extra tapenade on crackers with morbier cheese or goat cheese.

If I cut too thin, they don't puff very well. Also, I think the ones that got up to room temp before baking puffed better than the ones that were still cold.

Thanks Jenise
Howard