Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tarte Tatin ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Tarte Tatin ...

by Alan Wolfe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:22 pm

... made with fresh apricots instead of apples. I think it turned out well. Tarte Abricot, maybe?

apricot tarte.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Tarte Tatin ...

by John Treder » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 pm

That's pretty! How long did it last?
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Sounds delicious and looks great.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:39 pm

You just go, Alan! Very nice job. Did you serve it with whipped cream or ice cream? how did it taste?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Outstanding. But don't let the three jail-breakers get away....
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Standard short crust pastry and a very simple recipe from Jane Grigson's "Food with the Famous," said to be a favorite of Claude Monet. We served it straight up, w/o condiments of any kind. I made it with ordinary supermarket apricots. It is slightly tart and is more strongly flavored than fresh apricots, and as with many French pastries I've tried, not as sweet as many Americans prefer. We will do it again.

Thank you all for your kind words.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 am

Nice, even better than Tarte Tatin. Although I see you didn't go for the thick sugary glaze.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:37 pm

That is REALLY pretty. And apricots are my favorite fruit in the world--probably, in part, because a good apricot is so elusive. Unless one has their own tree, one never gets enough to grow tired of them. And then next season, the hunt is on again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:40 am

Jenise wrote:That is REALLY pretty. And apricots are my favorite fruit in the world--probably, in part, because a good apricot is so elusive.

Interesting logic!

I've had a couple of really great apricots this year, more so than ever before, and will be on the hunt when in Rome next week. But have never had enough good apricots to spark such talk of 'favorite' compared to other fruits.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:58 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:That is REALLY pretty. And apricots are my favorite fruit in the world--probably, in part, because a good apricot is so elusive.

Interesting logic!

I've had a couple of really great apricots this year, more so than ever before, and will be on the hunt when in Rome next week. But have never had enough good apricots to spark such talk of 'favorite' compared to other fruits.

I recall, a couple years ago, when it was clearly Apricot Season at the Union Square Greenmarket. I think it was August. Stands were heaped high with apricots. One stand was nothing but apricots in a heap several feet across and two feet high.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:09 am

Rahsaan wrote:

Interesting logic!

I am probably equally in love with cherries as apricots, but I get good cherries--that is, cherries as good store-bought as from a tree, for weeks at a time every summer. The highly perishable apricot, however, has to be picked so green that what you get in stores never has the flavor of actual tree-ripened fruit. Apricots are actually grown here in Washington--but they'll never have the flavor of a California Blenheim, or some tiny variety I picked off a tree once in Taos, New Mexico.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Just had a friend come by yesterday with a bag of ripe, just-picked apricots. There are too many to eat out of hand, so we'll have to think of something along the lines of Alan's tart to use them up.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Tarte. Betty. Souffle. Ice cream. Grill. Puree then make sweet blintzes, dessert pirogies.