Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Plans for the Fourth?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Plans for the Fourth?

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Here at Chez J we're doing a small dinner party for some of our Canadian friends, whose July 1st holiday we've also been celebrating for the last two days here in the bay, including Mr. and Mrs. Spohn. Theme is American wines, and among other things we'll be opening some really nice California cabernets: 95 Grace Family, 91 Phelps Backus, 94 Robert Mondavi PR and 94 Montelena. The menu is still in flux, but the standouts of what I'm planning are peel and eat local spot prawns, a steak contest between Montana, Missouri and California (Bryan Flannery), and for breakfast, home-smoked fresh King salmon. (I was aiming for Copper River salmon, but the season's over already so I settled for local troll caught).

What are the rest of you up to?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Plans for the Fourth?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Sleep! Will probably grill some burgers and drink rosé Champagne, but I need sleep.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Sister coming to town. Waiting to hear from her what she wants to have on the table when she arrives, besides champagne!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Burgers and hot dogs over the charcoal grill. Then up to the roof to watch the fireworks show. Then back downstairs to a neighbor's apartment for desserts.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 am

Going to the neighbors for a cookout. Probably we'll grill up some burgers and 'dogs and enjoy some almost local sweet corn. NJ has volunteered to bring some sort of frozen peanut butter/chocolate dessert and homemade burger buns. The weather forecast is for a near perfect 78F. For a beverage, it'll be my usually summer fare...lemonade, but we'll bring something from the cellar for the juicers.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:37 am

Over-achieving. Helping my son do a pig on the spit he built.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:43 am

No company on the Fourth, so we will do mussels and Riesling. Next day one daughter and granddaughter coming for burgers and brew.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:15 am

I'm taking Jo Ann's watermelon salad, along with some wine, to a party on the Niagara River.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 am

We have the usual gang of in-laws descending upon us.
I think I'm doing a slow roasted pork butt on the grill for pulled pork with Boston baked beans (modified Durgin Park recipe), vinegary slaw, and corn on the cob.
Probably have burgers and dogs for the younguns too.

Then up the street to watch the fireworks.
One good thing about the desert flatlands is that we can see the fireworks from 3-4 neighboring towns from our central viewing spot at one of the elementary school parking lots. We're about a mile and a half from the closest action and the most distant is ~30miles away.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:We have the usual gang of in-laws descending upon us.
I think I'm doing a slow roasted pork butt on the grill for pulled pork with Boston baked beans (modified Durgin Park recipe), vinegary slaw, and corn on the cob.
Probably have burgers and dogs for the younguns too.

Then up the street to watch the fireworks.
One good thing about the desert flatlands is that we can see the fireworks from 3-4 neighboring towns from our central viewing spot at one of the elementary school parking lots. We're about a mile and a half from the closest action and the most distant is ~30miles away.

Oh, THAT will be fun. We live in an area that does fireworks right. Lots of home around us are vacation/second homes, and this is the don't-miss weekend of the year. Hundreds of people spend hundreds or even thousands per family/friend unit on Chinese fireworks sold on the Indian reservation nearby and set them off on the shores of Birch Bay. We have our own beach, so we build our own launching pad and do our own show right overhead. It's not legal, per se, but on this one night it's allowed. It's quite a sight. Would never miss it (nor not be a home with a hose ready just in case!).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:46 pm

This time we got the mussels from our Rochester fish monger. OMG they ere were simply wonderful with the broth and rolls. They were raised in the U.S.A. Washed them down with another Knapp Riesling. God Bless America!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Had a GREAT 4th, thanks to Jenise!

Will be posting wine notes as soon as I have time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Over-achieving. Helping my son do a pig on the spit he built.

How did the pig turn out?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Had a GREAT 4th, thanks to Jenise!

Will be posting wine notes as soon as I have time.

IMG_1899.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Jenise wrote:
Fred Sipe wrote:Over-achieving. Helping my son do a pig on the spit he built.

How did the pig turn out?

Very moist and wonderfully porcine! Nothing out of the ordinary, stuffed with kielbasa, peppers and onions. But, oh so good!

photo.JPG

Don't know why it ended up upside down!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.