Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Discovery about potatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Discovery about potatoes

by Jenise » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:23 pm

For the fourth of July I made a potato and fennel salad. Only a waxy or waxyish potato works in this dish, and I used Yukon Golds cut in about six long wedgies each--boil first to about 80% done, then toss with a bit of oil, salt and pepper and roast on cookie sheet until golden brown and crispy. But I made way too many, and would have normally tossed out what we didn't use (potatoes are cheap) but there were so many in this case, I thought maybe I could turn them into a potato salad or something.

Yesterday I came across the roasted potatoes in the fridge. I took one out of the bag and noted that it tasted like a finer version of a frozen French fry, so I threw one in the toaster oven to see if it would recrisp. Not only did it, but it was delicious--not at all the flavor, due to having been precooked in water, of a leftover dry-baked potatoes which is not a flavor I like. It tasted FRESH. So all the rest of them went into the big oven for recrisping and we had a "French fry" first course with a homemade BBQ sauce for dipping. Fantastic!

In the future, not only will I not worry about having leftover potatoes when doing this method of roasted potato, I'll make sure I have leftovers! Also, it's a great do-ahead method if one wanted to do a big batch of 'fries' for an outdoor party.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: Discovery about potatoes

by James Dietz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Potatoes are way under-rated. How many other veggies can be served at breakfast, lunch and dinner, as a snack and in so many guises? Baked. Fried. Whole. Sliced. Puréed. In soup. As soup.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:14 am

James Dietz wrote:Potatoes are way under-rated. How many other veggies can be served at breakfast, lunch and dinner, as a snack and in so many guises? Baked. Fried. Whole. Sliced. Puréed. In soup. As soup.

Hot or cold!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:02 pm

James Dietz wrote:Potatoes are way under-rated.

Who underrates them? By their ubiquity I would say that many many cultures have figured out exactly how delicious they are.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Perfect accompaniment = garlic aioli (but I understand why that wouldn't occur to you....) :D