Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mmm, midsummer caprese!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Mmm, midsummer caprese!

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 pm

I try not to duplicate food photos too much, but after celebrating summer's first tomatoes with a caprese last month, I had to do it again now that midsummer beefsteaks are full on.

Thick beefsteak slices from the garden, fresh basil ditto; fresh mozzarella from Lotsa Pasta, salt, pepper and good Italian olive oil.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Mmm, midsummer caprese!

by Tom Troiano » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:36 pm

I wonder what percent of people use olive oil and what percent use Balsamic. Can we do a poll?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Drizzle a little of each for me please.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Oh, I don't know....burrata instead of mozz; a few capers; on a bed of arugula; a drizzle of olive oil; a squeeze of lemon ; a chiffonade of basil; a splash of wine vinegar; a few drops of condiment balsamic.....I love them all.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:35 am

I am pro olive oil and a little anti vinegar. The flavor of the tomatoes is what this salad is about.

I like to enhance the flavor with an invisible sprinkle of salt for most tomatoes, or a hint of sugar on Green Zebras or other tomatoes that are sweet. Then it's just fresh mozz, basil leaves, and a fine EVoO drizzled at the last minute before serving.

For hearty red tomatoes, smoked mozzarella makes a nice change.

For me vinegar is a distraction, and the extra flavor of balsamic is even more of a distraction.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 am

I'm somewhat with Frank, preferring just salt and EVOO over balsamic. That said, I definitely won't refuse a Caprese that's had a little vinegar added.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:35 am

Both olive oil and balsamic for me. I also like it sometimes with burrata instead of mozzarella.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:21 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'm somewhat with Frank, preferring just salt and EVOO over balsamic. That said, I definitely won't refuse a Caprese that's had a little vinegar added.

I'm on board with you and Frank, Mike. My opinion, the delicacy and balance of the tomatoes, fresh cheese and basil with really good olive oil and just a little kosher/flake salt and quality fresh-ground pepper (Penzey's Tellicherry, for instance) makes the dish for me.

I like balsamic in its place, but its bold flavor would just throw the dish out of whack for me. In fact, I'm not even on board with vinegar. If the tomatoes are fresh and ripe, they will bring their own perfect sweet-acid balance to the party. If you're stuck with less than perfect tomatoes, maybe a few drops of lemon juice ... but then I'd have to ask why you're even making a caprese if you don't have perfect tomatoes. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 am

Ted Richards wrote:Both olive oil and balsamic for me. I also like it sometimes with burrata instead of mozzarella.

I'll pass on the balsamic, as noted in the prior post. But burrata? Yes, please!