Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pickled Corn Rounds w/Coriander

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

RCP: Pickled Corn Rounds w/Coriander

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:27 pm

This is one of those recipes you clip from a magazine and think you are going to make one day soon, but soon turns into years, if ever. I finally decided to do this to go with grilled meats. It is a perfect accompany for such a meal. But, warning, this recipe yields enough for perhaps 4 or fewer people. Please read my notes that follow.

PICKLED CORN ROUNDS WITH CORIANDER

4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 onion, cut into thin rounds
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 C white wine vinegar
1/2 C canned unsweetened pineapple juice
1 C water
3/4 C sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
5 whole cloves
2-3 canned whole chipotle chiles in adobo
4 tsp Dijon mustard
6 ears corn, cut into 1/2" rounds

Cook garlic, bell pepper and onion in oil, covered, in a 12-in heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until slightly softened but not browned. Reserve vegetables. While vegetables are cooking, bring remaining ingredients except corn to a boil in a 4-6 qt nonreactive pot, stirring occasionally. Add corn and return to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add reserved vegetables and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool. Transfer mixture to wide mouthed glass jars and chill, covered, at least 2 hrs and up to 2 weeks.
GOURMET/October 2000

_1020211 (800x601).jpg

NOTE: I used 4 ears of corn thinking the amount of liquid would not be sufficient to cover 6 ears, which was correct. For 6 ears of corn I would suggest increasing the recipe an additional 50%. Other changes: I sliced rather than smashed the garlic and cut the rounds into about 2" pieces. I used 2/3 C sugar rather than the suggested 3/4 C. I used 1 chipotle chile, both changes in amounts I considered sufficient for the flavor intensity I was seeking. Be careful, corn prepared this way is addictive! Yum :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: RCP: Pickled Corn Rounds w/Coriander

by Tom NJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:35 pm

What a nifty combination of ingredients. Must have tasted terrific indeed!

So, how old was the recipe? And from what magazine? Do you remember?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Looks good! Do you serve cold or room temp?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Tom NJ wrote:What a nifty combination of ingredients. Must have tasted terrific indeed!

So, how old was the recipe? And from what magazine? Do you remember?

See end of instructions above.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Looks good! Do you serve cold or room temp?

room temp. Great indeed!
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:See end of instructions above.

I BLAME -

er, never mind. I just suck.

:roll:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:17 pm

I really like the looks of that, Jo Ann! I'm glad I read your note before yapping about "Those aren't 1/2-inch rounds!" :oops:

I might do it with shorter rounds, though - a lot of Peruvian dishes, including their version of seviche, are made that way. But no matter how you slice it 8) it looks very good.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I might do it with shorter rounds, though - a lot of Peruvian dishes, including their version of seviche, are made that way. But no matter how you slice it 8) it looks very good.

I love ceviche. If you have one that includes corn rounds, please share. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:50 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I love ceviche. If you have one that includes corn rounds, please share. Thanks.

I don't actually have a recipe, but I remember when we traveled in Peru, there were corn rounds in everything. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 pm

OHMIGOD. I am SO doing this. Thank you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:07 pm

Three quarts are now resting in the fridge as I type. I added epazote--I'm doing a Mexican-inspired entry for the annual terrine dinner this weekend, and will use these as a garnish. IF THERE ARE ANY LEFT. I have already eaten half a jar (six ears, because I had six ears--made extra liquid). Again, thank you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 pm

So glad you enjoyed them, Jenise. When I posted the recipe I thought it was right up your alley. With the reduction of sugar, I still thought they were a little sweet for m palate. I'm going to reduce to 1/2 cup for the original recipe. Planning to take them to our block watch party next week. I'll update on how they went at the event.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:51 am

They were indeed up my alley. I've never had anything like them! Bob and I killed off another jar with dinner tonight. Re the sugar, I probably used between 1/3 and 1/2 cup. Didn't measure--I scoop from a container using the lid except when baking--very inexact but I started small with the intention of adding more to taste but didn't find it needed more at all, especially since my end purpose is savory and anything noticeably sweet would kill the wine connection. I'm guessing the recipe's intent was to make a whatdyacallit--chow chow?--except in whole form, which would traditionally be sweeter than what I made. Speaking of wine, the corn goes great with a big new world chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 am

Well, I did make another batch. Like you, Jenise, I probably ended up with little more than 1/2 C sugar for a recipe that was 1.5 times the original ingredients. Increased the amount of pineapple juice, but left everything else the same. The balance was just perfect and more on the savory side. The pineapple was noticeable, but you couldn't tell what "that" ingredient was. It was an immediate hit with the crowd. Think next time I'm going to go for more a middle eastern flavor combination and use harissa instead of the chili in adobo, add a bit of turmeric, cinnamon stick and a bit of cilantro. This recipe lends itself to many possibilities. This is definitely a keeper.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Love your plans to go middle eastern; was considering something similar, possibly even Indian. And you know what? I bought a dozen ears of corn today just over the border, fresh from Chilliwack which is about 90 or miles east, a big fertile volcanic valley. And guess what? BC corn IS legal, but not from anywhere else in Canada. And since my corn didn't have stickers on it proving it was BC corn the dadgumgummint took it away from me. I tried not to sound belligerent when I pointed out that corn doesn't get stickers like apples. No matter, of course. :roll: