Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tasmania

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

WWLL

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Tasmania

by WWLL » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Just before I went to Tibet (Nov 2013) I went to Australia. I wanted to visit Tasmania because it is the only state in Australia I have not visited. I wanted to taste the cold-climate wines of Tasmania and see the renown scenery there. I stopped in Melborne and Sydney along the way.

The pictures are at http://www.pbase.com/wwll/taswine

I visited these wineries

East Coast
Milton
Spring Vale
Freycinet
Tamar Valley
Goaty Hill
Holm Oak
Arras
Bay of Fires
Piper Brook
Jansz
Brook Eden
Tamar Ridge
Velo

I came away a great admirer of Tasmania's pinot noir. All are light in color, transparent, with a moderate bouquet but very well balanced and a terrific long finish. Sparkling wine is made by all the wineries. I could not get my head into Tasmania's chardonnay. They are not austere as French nor buttery like California's. Reisling is not as common as in other areas of Australia.

At Spring Vale I was received by the owner/winemaker on a one-on-one basis. At Goaty Hill I was received by the viticulturalist and co-owner. At Brook Eden I was received by the owner on a one-on-one basis. At every winery except Velo the tastings were free. At Velo they charged A$3 because I did not buy anything.

Everywhere except at Jansz I had a nice conversation with the staff at the tasting. At Jansz I was received by a young man in his 20's who tried to pass me misinformation. He said riddling was by hand. When I asked him how many persons do the disgorging he did not know.

At Milton, founded in 1992, I liked the pinot noir (A$32) and the gewurztraminer (A$24).

Spring Vale was the only winery I visited that had distribution in the USA, K&L of Redwood City, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Their 2010 pinot noir (A$40) , 20% aged in new French oak, had a powerful Burgundian nose and very long finish.

Freycinet was the only winery that made a good cabernet sauvignon (2007, A$35). Their star was the 2012 pinot noir (A$58), a little chewy in the mouth and a wonderful long finish.

Finding Goaty Hill was not easy. Like all the other wineries I visited, one has to go on unpaved roads (unsealed in Aussie speak) for a little while. Their sparkling Maia 2010 is 50% chardonnay and 50% pinot noir and very delicate (A$38).

I thought my overall best tasting was at Bay of Fires. The 2011 Eddestone pinot noir (A$30) had a rich Burgundian nose, transparent light color but a full in the mouth finish.

At Brook Eden I had a long conversation with the namesake of the winery. He told me the secret of their pinot noir is the long growing season, and that if the grapes did not meet quality standards they would just put them in to sparkling wines.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tasmania

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Will! I'm envious of your trip down-under. Have been several times to Australia but just haven't gotten down to Tasmania, which I'd really love to do because I've had several very impressive wines from there. Piper Brook and Jansz, which you mention, and some you didn't get to (if they still exist, they may not). Jansz makes an admirable sparkling wine--one of the most Champagne-like non-champagnes I've ever had.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov