Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Jewish Deli

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

Jewish Deli

by Ken Schechet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm

A friend sent me this 11 minute video that reminded me how much I love real Jewish deli's and why it's such a tragedy that they are disappearing.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/53381762
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Jewish Deli

by Jenise » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Ken, so glad you shared, that was delightful. And sad.

You know that I am not Jewish. Nor did I come from a Jewish area--growing up, the closest I got to having a Jewish friend was reading Anne Frank's painful diary. The food was something I had to discover myself, but so great was my desire to discover it that one of the first things I did upon acquiring a drivers license and a car at 16 was to drive myself and a buddy to Canter's Deli in L.A. Where I found bliss--incredible pastrami and that comfortable Jewish hospitality that I adore. It's like I was Jewish in a past life or something. Anyway, suffice to say that I've been to every single one of the deli's mentioned in that film except the one in Houston, and I had no idea the situation was so dire as only 150 left in the country. Where I live now in Washington, there's a so-called "New York deli" that seems to be a chain wherein the meats taste like Oscar Meyer made them (heavily processed-- fake-flavorings and an overload of preservatives) that's just awful. Another chain that seems to be doing distressingly well is called something like Schotsky's, but that's probably not correct. Anyway, similar problem--no soul, and even more Americanized than the place here in Bellingham. Tried both, would never go back. I understand there's a deli in Seattle that I haven't been to--I'm going to redouble my efforts to get there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Love it, Ken! Just like Levy's Jewish Rye, you don't have to be Jewish to love deli ... or to love that pretty, sad video.

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:03 am

Great trailer. Hope I can catch the movie, too. Thanks, Ken.

Oh, that reminds me... where did I put that other movie link? Ah.

Knishes! http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi4062158361/
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 am

Jenise - Sabra Kosher Bakery & Restaurant on Oak is the best bet in Vancouver these days. Sad as we used to have about 3 really good Montreal style delis here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:59 pm

Bill, isn't there a new Montreal deli uptown that you and Les went to recently? Someone mentioned it, and it may be related to the frozen Montreal style smoked beef being sold at Canadian Costcos these days (it's GOOD).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Wasn't me, but we can ask our 'source' - Alvin should know if there is any new and worthwhile outlet in town!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Well someone told me about it--over by the art museum on Robson, I believe it is.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Bill, a quick search pulled up these two:

Dunns Famous, Granville area, on Seymour
Zako's deli, Fairview Slopes, W. Broadway

Dunn's could be the source of the Costco item I mentioned--name sounds familiar. Not delis per se but additional smoked beef sandwich sources appear to be Siegels Bagels on Granville Island and Rosemary Rocksalt over near Nadine and David's house (I've had the bagels, KILLER).
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, a quick search pulled up these two:
I've had the bagels, KILLER.

Yappy dogs, but cute. And here I took you for a cat person! :mrgreen: