Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Outstanding in the Field Report

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Outstanding in the Field Report

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:05 pm

So back in March, Bob and I decided to sign up for one of the Outstanding in the Field dinners coordinated by eco-artist, if that's the right kind of title, Jim Denevan. We bandied back and forth on the pros and cons of Bainbridge Island only two hours south of us and Walla Walla (hotter, a day's drive away but the cheesemaker setting more appealing), and were still undecided when Bob left for a dental appointment. "You choose," he said. When he got back he immediately asked, "Whadja buy?"

Beaming, I replied, "Jackson Hole, Wyoming," an option that hadn't even been on the table. He went: :shock:.

Turned out to be a welcome trek as in the meantime we bought a brand new camping van which needed a proper breaking in, so we made some reservations in Yellowstone National Park which neither of us have ever been to and gave ourselves enough time to play the rest of the trip by ear.

We pulled into Jackson on Sunday the 20th of July; the dinner was the following evening. It had been sweltering hot everywhere else and Jackson's elevation and coolness were quite a nice change. We drove around a bit and the town has changed and grown a lot since I was last there a couple decades ago, and not all the ways are good. They now have, for instance, a Ripley's Believe It or Not--which is my current standard for Officially WAY Too Touristy For Me. Key West, Savannah Georgia and a number of other places have already been written off by me for this crime. Here's our 'camp':

IMG_2274.JPG

We got into town knowing that some inclement weather was expected in the area giving us a 50% chance of rain for the dinner. But where on sunny Sunday a day previous that didn't seem anything to be especially pessimistic about, by Monday morning the sky darkened hourly with purple clouds that would start dumping any second and call it any percent you want, no one in Jackson valley would be spared. The sprinkles started while we were driving over to The Wine Store They Kept a Secret From Mark Lipton in the high value zip code over by the ski slopes, planning to reload a few reasonable bottles before leaving for Yellowstone where we feared all that would be available was tourist wine (we weren't wrong).

IMG_2288.JPG

Dinner was at the Mead Ranch just a ten minute drive out of the main part of town, where Brad Mead is the fifth generation to own and tend this land, one of five large ranches left in the state (average age of the remaining ranchers: 68 years old). Brad and his wife Kate, both lawyers, met in Arizona where they both practiced before moving back to take over the ranch (thankfully, their sons, both in their early 20's, plan to do the same) from Brad's parents. They have 1100 acres total between their best pasture land around the ranch in Jackson which is saved for birthing and fattening up the mature cows later, and some grazing land 45 miles away in Thermopolis for the time in between. Brad runs the overall ranch and their new distillery which produces an excellent (but expensive, $50) small batch bourbon, 'W' Wyoming is the brand, while Kate manages the herd, calling the shots on the keeping and selling of calves and, eventually, the beef. The herd is exclusively Black Angus, and I mean black Black Angus because, as Kate explained, though some Black Angus can be born brown or red, those are culled early because in the ridiculously biased cattle market place, nobody will buy a non-black Black Angus even though the meat is identical.

IMG_2294.JPG

An opening Sauvignon Blanc was served on the patio near the house along with samples of Brad's bourbon. The wines served this night were all the product of one winery, Niner, which is located in Paso Robles and owned by a couple who actually live in Jackson. Upon hearing "Paso" my heart kind of sank because I'm not a fan of the super ripe Paso style, but I found every one of the wines served us that night exceptional considering their origins, and the deft and grassy Sauv Blanc was no exception. 14% abv, but clean and bright and unoaked, even a little taut--definitely not a fruit bomb. But it wasn't long before the rain reached Biblical proportions (notice hands in the air holding down the wine tent which had just dumped its entire saved contents on the top of my unfortunate head), and forcing everyone who couldn't fit under the overhangs to seek refuge in the house, an element of hospitality the Meads obviously had not expected to extend but ever so graciously did. Several appetizers were passed during this period, including an exceptional wonton crisp topped with the unlikely but heavenly combination of kim chee and pulled pork with a spicy aioli. The appetizers were prepared and served by the Robinson family, who also raise cattle and pigs for meat sold locally in addition to organic produce.

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

In the meantime Jim Denevan explained that in the five years the Meads have hosted this, never have they ever had rain. So this caught them somewhat unawares and without any other option than to set the dinner tables up in the barn which is a real, working barn and home to a number of horses so resplendant with the strong aroma of horse dung, enough to encourage the organizers to pull out another couple cases of Sauvignon blanc and extend the happy hour just in case those clouds moved on like the radar kind of indicated they might.

And they did. So while the tables were being relocated to a pasture, we went on a hayride.

IMG_2307.JPG

Almost four hours after we arrived, it was finally time for dinner.

IMG_2315.JPG

The dinner was prepared by a local chef who works as a private chef, and he was assisted by a guy whose wife owns an extremely successful bakery in town, Persephone Bakery(Trip Advisor lists it as the #1 restaurant in Jackson). Have to say, and I'm aware of how hard it is to pull off making and serving large quantities of food to large groups, especially considering the weather impacts they had to deal with, but nonetheless we both found the food disappointing. The servings were huge passed platters so none went hungry, but the best things we ate all night were the afore-mentioned appetizer plus the exceptional bread and ricotta tarts both provided by Persophone. Each dish of the main meal itself just missed the mark in some way. The polenta needed something creamy to make it richer--it had just been made with water, and it tasted like it. The green salad was made from beautiful local greens, but they hadn't been washed well and there was obvious silt throughout. The beef--well, it was served too cool and had been cut without enough rest, so the platters were swimming in red blood. And everything was underseasoned--can't blame THAT on the weather!

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

So, would I go again? Heck yes, in another location for a different experience albeit, but yes. We had fun and made some new friends we might meet up with for another dinner with next summer. And it was just a blast driving all the way to Wyoming just for dinner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Outstanding in the Field

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Oh, and a bonus for the girls (and Jeff):

Jim Denevan is SEXY.

IMG_2324.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Nice flannel. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks for posting this, Jenise. I was looking forward to your food notes. I remember some months back you posting about Outstanding in the Field. I don't know if it was this one you were preparing to trek to, though. How disappointing about the meal. Why do folks insist on cooking polenta and grits with water? I will never understand this. Even the picture of the meat was unappetizing. But, I could have made a meal of that tart -- love a good tart!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:35 pm

What a great write-up! Loved the accompanying pictures. Lol - that was some pool of beef. Looks more like carrion there.

Glad you had a great time regardless!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Thanks for posting this, Jenise. I was looking forward to your food notes. I remember some months back you posting about Outstanding in the Field. I don't know if it was this one you were preparing to trek to, though. How disappointing about the meal. Why do folks insist on cooking polenta and grits with water? I will never understand this. Even the picture of the meat was unappetizing. But, I could have made a meal of that tart -- love a good tart!

I posted a link to the announcement of the 2014 schedule some months back, but withheld putting out there on the internet which one I'd picked because it would have then said "between this date and that date I won't be home, so come rob my house".

This was the first one we've been to, and as I said probably not our last. Though most of the attendees were local, we also met a lot of people there who go to a different location every year.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Outstanding in the Field Report

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Looks like it must have been a lot of fun despite the disappointing food.

Did the polenta have any corn or collards incorporated into it or were they just on top?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Fritz II looks cool. If I were to buy a camper-van, that is what I would buy. You like it?

And you had me at the polenta, corn and collard greens. You had me again with the lemon ricotta.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Why do folks insist on cooking polenta and grits with water?

Especially when gorgonzola is so affordable! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:46 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Looks like it must have been a lot of fun despite the disappointing food.

Did the polenta have any corn or collards incorporated into it or were they just on top?

Just on top. The polenta tasted of merely salt and water. There was probably a cheese element in it as there was a glue-iness about the texture, but it provided little flavor.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:13 am

Hoke wrote:Fritz II looks cool. If I were to buy a camper-van, that is what I would buy. You like it?

And you had me at the polenta, corn and collard greens. You had me again with the lemon ricotta.

We love it. Fritz the first was the same make, but a 2007 and more truck-ish in the way it drove, a concession to the Chrysler half of the parentage. But now the parents are divorced, and Fritz II is 100% Mercedes and drives like a luxury car. All this is the result of way back when, Bob and I both having similar early dreams of going the hippie route with a VW pop-top camper that neither of us ever acquired before becoming conventional, boring suburbanites. Now that we're free to be whatever we want to be and take the road trips we always dreamed of, a VW would be too small. Enter Fritz. He has a head, a galley with refrigerator-freezer, MW and two burner stove, and a sofa and two ottomans in back that turn into a queen size bed at the push of a button. It's too luxury oriented to be a rebel, but it's the anti-RV in that it's a car you can live in, an RV that fits anywhere including a driveway, and it's fuel-efficient (22 mpg). I guess there aren't that many around; at the Field dinner, some of Denevan's staff hunted us down for a tour--"you're the ones who own that van parked by the front door, right?"--and in Virginia City, Montana we were followed by a lady in a Jeep, honking and waving, so we pulled over to find out what was wrong. Nothing, it turned out, she just saw us drive by her house and wanted to find out what it was--she wants to upgrade her '89 Vanagan but doesn't want a full-blown RV. We get that; neither did we.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:13 pm

If you decide to do one of these in the future, Jenise, you should make the trek a little further east to the one in Raymond, NE. It is about an hour southwest of Omaha, and the chef I work for does this dinner every year. You can bet your boots the meat will be properly rested and everything seasoned! :wink: