Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sautéed Kale

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Sautéed Kale

by Ted Richards » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am

In light of the recent thread about kale, I thought I'd post this recipe. I'd always tolerated kale, but this made me an enthusiastic fan. I like to use Lacinato kale, a.k.a. black kale or dinosaur kale. It is a very dark greyish green with long slender leaves.

Sautéed Kale

1 pound kale, tough stems and center ribs discarded and leaves cut into 1-inch-wide strips (8 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 garlic clove, minced
Pinch of dried hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook kale in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 10 minutes, then drain in a colander.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to moderate, then add kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and salt.

Makes 2 generous side dish servings.

From Gourmet, November 2003 (via epicurious.com)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: RCP: Sautéed Kale

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Sounds delicious, but I'll admit that I chuckled when I saw the title because recipe-wise, "sauteed kale" pretty much says everything you need to know!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: RCP: Sautéed Kale

by Barb Downunder » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:35 am

I’m with you Bill, there are plenty of tasty leafy greens to be had.
About once every two years I buy a bunch, try a nice sounding recipe and , meh, okay that’ll do for this year.

Oops that should have gone in Bill’s thread.