Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Braised Chicken and Chayote

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Braised Chicken and Chayote

by Ted Richards » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:45 am

I found this on Chowhound, tried it, and added it to the rotation. It's the first time I've tried chayote, but won't be the last.

Braised Chicken and Chayote

4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1 pound total)
2 medium large-dice chayotes (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ teaspoons dried oregano
⅔ cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
½ lemon

Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl with the diced chayotes. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss until evenly coated.

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the chicken (skin side down) and chayote pieces. Cook, undisturbed, until the chicken skin is crisped and the chayote is turning golden brown, about 20 minutes. Flip the chicken over, sprinkle the oregano over the chayote, and stir.

Add the broth or water to the pan (avoid the chicken skin) and cook uncovered until the chicken registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, the underside is browned, and the chayote is fork tender, about 15 minutes more.

Squeeze the lemon over top before serving.

Makes 4 servings.

From Kate Ramos, Chowhound: http://www.chow.com/recipes/27664-braised-chicken-and-chayote
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Braised Chicken and Chayote

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Interesting. Chayote is one of those things I've noticed in grocery stores for years but have never gotten around to buying. Nice to see a recipe that uses it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Mt wife is Mexican, so we have chayote frequently. You can sautee with other veggies. Steam them with carrots and zucchini. In fact, use them like you would zucchini, though they have more crunch to them. We have them in soups often.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jay Mazzoni

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Louisville, KY

by Jay Mazzoni » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:24 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Interesting. Chayote is one of those things I've noticed in grocery stores for years but have never gotten around to buying. Nice to see a recipe that uses it.

They're referred to as mirlitons in southeast Louisiana and are used in Cajun/Creole dishes. They made a strong appearence in the New Orleans markets in October and November last year for use in popular Thanksgiving stuffing recipes. Celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse was quite fond of mirlitons and featured them in several episodes of his show.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:04 pm

I love chayote squash and am surprised so many otherwise adventurous foodies here had not tried it before. Wonderful stuff--I haven't, however, braised it with other things and am both surprised and impressed that it performed so well under long (longer than I typically do) cooking. Must try the recipe, thanks Ted!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:29 am

Another vegetable I've never even heard of before ...