Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Plum Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Plum Sauce

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:54 pm

This morning I made a lovely plum sauce. Cooked the plums with sauteed ginger, a bit of soy sauce and a bit of black bean sauce. Twenty minutes and a puree later, I was rewarded with such a lovely bright vibrant purple sauce with such pleasing thickish texture.

I've made this sauce before in previous years but the natural vibrancy of the color does not cease to amaze.

It went really well with fresh baked Carolina shrimp for lunch and will go in some fresh shelled beans tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Plum Sauce

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:18 pm

I would never think to try plum sauce with shrimp or beans. Cold or hot?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I would never think to try plum sauce with shrimp or beans. Cold or hot?

Today with the shrimp I had the sauce 'room temperature/warm' and served it next to the shrimp. Kind of like a 'dipping sauce'/salsa/condiment for the plate. And the stuff is so delicious that it made everything on the plate happy.

I haven't used it with beans, but I'm always looking for flavor with beans and often add a sauce with lots of flavor (everything from curry pastes to fresh tomato sauce to Chinese black bean sauce) at the very end of cooking the beans. So, I figure I'll try this tomorrow and see how it goes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:46 pm

What kind of plums? Wondering if you used a yellow meated plum, for instance, and got that much color from the skin.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Jenise wrote:What kind of plums? Wondering if you used a yellow meated plum, for instance, and got that much color from the skin.

Yes. I don't know the name of the plum but the meat was yellow and the skin dark purple, but the sauce was a wonderful light bright purple. Amazing how food works!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:What kind of plums? Wondering if you used a yellow meated plum, for instance, and got that much color from the skin.

Yes. I don't know the name of the plum but the meat was yellow and the skin dark purple, but the sauce was a wonderful light bright purple. Amazing how food works!

Interesting! I've always wondered what kind of color you'd get. Cool. And Damson is the name of that type of plum, I believe, though there are probably 42 variations almost identical to it that go by other names.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov