Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Endive, Red Pepper, Artichoke and Chèvre Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Endive, Red Pepper, Artichoke and Chèvre Salad

by Ted Richards » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Here's an interesting whole-meal salad I came up with one day. Quantites are flexible - basically as much as will fit on a plate. It's fairly fragile, so you need to construct it on the plates you're serving it on. I've used both artichokes canned in water and ones packed in oil and spices. Either works, but they have a different taste. I prefer the water-packed ones. I use a 12-year-old Mini Italia brand balsamic vinegar that one of our upscale grocery stores (Pusateri's) sells.

Endive, Red Pepper, Artichoke and Chèvre salad

2 medium-sized Belgian endives (or 1 humongous one)
14 oz artichoke hearts, drained and quartered lengthwise
10 oz piquillo peppers, drained and halved lengthwise (but see note below)
4-6 oz soft mild goat cheese (e.g. chèvre)
3 Tbsp good Balsamic vinegar (but not the really expensive stuff)
9 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
bread for sopping up the leftover dressing (optional)

Slice the base off the endive to free up some of the leaves, repeat as necessary. Lay the leaves out in a radial pattern on two plates (see image below), leaving a hole at the bottom for the goat cheese.

On each leaf, place a quarter of an artichoke heart at the base, and a half pepper at the tip. Place half the goat cheese on each plate.

Mix up a thick dressing of the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. There'll be lots. Drizzle generously over the salad. Enjoy!

Makes 2 servings.

Note: I've always drained the peppers, but it occurred to me last time that the thick juice surrounding the peppers might add a little extra flavour to the dressing. I'll try that next time.

endive_salad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Endive, Red Pepper, Artichoke and Chèvre Salad

by Jenise » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Love that combination, Ted. But I'm thinking about the dressing: if one adds mustard to the balsamic vinegar and olive oil mix, the dressing will emulsify and the thicker dressing would be less messy (thinking about the fragility you mention. Also, as someone who ends up wearing anything that drips, thicker dressings drip less, or at least more slowly!, and I have a fighting chance of at coming away from this course with a clean blouse. (Speaking of emulsifying, you don't even need a whisk and a bowl--it will emulsify by being shaken in a jar.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov