Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Kapusta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Kapusta

by Jenise » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:53 pm

My friend Gary recently got the recipe for his favorite childhood cabbage dish from his Polish mother. And I got it from him! It's wonderful:

KAPUSTA

1 head of cabbage sliced very thin (then degassed - soaked in ice water for 3 hours then drained, or run 2 or 3 rounds of boiling water over it in a colander)
1 pound sauerkraut (do not drain)
1 medium sized onion, grated
1 large clove garlic minced
8 ounces of pureed tomatoes
1 ham bone with some ham on it
2 cups ham juice or beef stock
4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
salt
pepper
1 tablespoon coarse mustard
1 tablespoon flour
1 -2 tablespoons white wine or white vinegar

Take fresh cabbage and de-gas as above.

Place 2 cups ham juice (from previously roasted ham) or beef stock, hambone and sauerkraut to a large pot and turn heat up to boil. Once boiling, add fresh, degassed cabbage, mustard and simmer until cabbage is very tender. Salt and pepper. Meanwhile fry bacon in white wine or white vinegar then add grated onion and cook until onion is brown but not burned. Add tomatoes to cabbage through a sieve then add garlic. If it is too soupy at this point, spoon broth from cabbage into bowl and whisk with flour then add back. Add bacon/onion mixture to cabbage simmer for 5 minutes. then turn off heat. Let sit for at least an hour before storing in fridge for later or heating back up and serving.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: RCP: Kapusta

by Fred Sipe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:23 am

That sounds incredibly tasty but I have a question. How do you "fry" bacon in white wine or vinegar? I don't understand.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Kapusta

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:45 am

Fred Sipe wrote:That sounds incredibly tasty but I have a question. How do you "fry" bacon in white wine or vinegar? I don't understand.

Listen, this is direct from the Polish mother! What I interpreted this to mean was: fry bacon, deglaze with wine or vinegar, then proceed to next step.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov