Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Cold honeydew-cucumber soup with crab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Cold honeydew-cucumber soup with crab

by Jenise » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 pm

This is a John Ash recipe. It's just lightly sweet, so a slightly offdry style wine like Riesling goes very well with it.

For Rahsaan:

The combination of the cucumber and honeydew is an intriguing flavor combination and also visually interesting. Being a west coast boy, I think Dungeness crab is the best but use whatever you like. I've used cream here to add richness to the soup. You could also leave it out or substitute buttermilk if desired. All are good. I recommend serving this in wide shallow bowls for best dramatic effect!

Serves 6-8
2 quarts roughly chopped peeled and seeded English (burp-less!) cucumbers
1 quart roughly chopped and seeded ripe honeydew melon
3 tablespoons or so fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt
Drops of hot sauce
10 ounces fresh picked crab meat (1 cup or so)
3/4 cup seeded and diced yellow and/or red tomatoes
1/2 cup diced firm ripe avocado
2 teaspoons each chopped fresh chives and tarragon (or basil)

Garnish: Fresh herb sprigs and/or chopped nasturtium flowers and leaves, if available
Add cucumbers, melon, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and sugar to a food processor and puree until smooth. Strain through a medium strainer pushing down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Stir in cream and season to taste with salt and hot sauce. You should end up with about 1 quart of soup. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Gently combine the crab, tomatoes, avocado and herbs. Season to taste with salt, hot sauce and lemon juice.

To serve: Gently press crab mixture into a 1/4 cup or so measuring cup and unmold in the center of a large, flat soup plate. Ladle chilled cucumber mixture around and garnish with herbs and/or nasturtiums.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: RCP: Cold honeydew-cucumber soup with crab

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Interesting. Sometimes (like this past week) I buy too many melons and have started looking at different ways to use them up. The cucumber combination sounds great. (I actually made a cantaloupe and cucumber salad the other day)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. Sometimes (like this past week) I buy too many melons and have started looking at different ways to use them up. The cucumber combination sounds great. (I actually made a cantaloupe and cucumber salad the other day)

This should be right up your alley. Btw, I forgot to mention that I left out the sugar. I had a very sweet melon and found the balance, without, perfect. I'd add that last, if at all, to taste.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Betsy is making this tonight for a picnic, thanks!
Thinking sec-tendre Chenin Blanc
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Just curious how this would be without the crab. Worth doing, do you think?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:55 am

cuke melon soup.jpg

Really delicious (as we were having at a picnic didn't try to mold carb/avocado). No cream or sugar, not needed as far as I'm concerned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Just curious how this would be without the crab. Worth doing, do you think?

It needs a centerpiece. But yes, if you left out the seafood and combined the avocado with cherry tomatoes, say, or substituted shrimp, it would be excellent.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
cuke melon soup.jpg

Really delicious (as we were having at a picnic didn't try to mold carb/avocado). No cream or sugar, not needed as far as I'm concerned.

Beautiful--glad it worked out for you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Made a batch of this today to serve as a first course tomorrow night. Used orange melons in place of honeydew as I had a half a large cantaloupe and half another orange flesh type, Crenshaw? Anyway, put the cucumbers in the Vitamix and when I saw that it was not liquefying fast enough, I added some of the cream needed. It just sat there in the bottom spinning, so I finally got out the plunger to move things around and discovered--- are you ready? --- the cream had churned into butter. Never had THAT happen before!