Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Eggplant cutlet in the style of strip steak

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Eggplant cutlet in the style of strip steak

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Eggplant "steak," a thick lengthwise cutlet, pan-seared and oven-finished, mushroom demi.

eggplantshroom.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: Eggplant cutlet in the style of strip steak

by Doug Surplus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 am

Yum!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:07 pm

That looks and sounds delicious!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Looked great, showed it to my wife. We almost did it as a main last night, but did it as a side (though she did mushrooms in a red wine sauce vs using demi-glace). Great idea, with lots of possibilities for variants.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Man, that mushroom topper looks to die for.

Do you do any special prep to the eggplant for dishes like this? I make eggplant in this style quite often, but first score and salt the slabs and let drain for about an hour, then press between towels for another 15 - 30 min. You have to cut the slices about 50% thicker than you want the end product to be to compensate, but it results in a denser veg that sautes and bakes much better (it doesn't steam initially from its own juices leaking out). My wife loves eggplant, so I've had a lot of practice doing it this way :D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Tom NJ wrote:Do you do any special prep to the eggplant for dishes like this? I make eggplant in this style quite often, but first score and salt the slabs and let drain for about an hour, then press between towels for another 15 - 30 min. You have to cut the slices about 50% thicker than you want the end product to be to compensate, but it results in a denser veg that sautes and bakes much better (it doesn't steam initially from its own juices leaking out). My wife loves eggplant, so I've had a lot of practice doing it this way :D

Tom, to be honest, I just cut them thick, sprinkle on a little kosher salt (to flavor, not to "draw out the bitterness," and drizzle olive oil on them. Then just treat exactly as I would a strip steak in a standard pan-sear in a red-hot iron skillet followed by a 10-minute stay in a hot oven.

I might try your way and see if it's even more awesome, but frankly, I'm so happy with this that if I were to add on that much additional prep, I'd want to see a major notch kickup. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Tom, to be honest, I just cut them thick, sprinkle on a little kosher salt (to flavor, not to "draw out the bitterness," and drizzle olive oil on them. Then just treat exactly as I would a strip steak in a standard pan-sear in a red-hot iron skillet followed by a 10-minute stay in a hot oven. I might try your way and see if it's even more awesome, but frankly, I'm so happy with this that if I were to add on that much additional prep, I'd want to see a major notch kickup. :mrgreen:

Yeah, y'know, if your way works fine, don't change. A 10% improvement in return for 63% more effort is only worth it if you're a true eggplant pedant, or insane. (I made those numbers up on the spot, by the way, but I stand by them). And truth be told, I've sometimes been pressed for time and just cut them and threw 'em on the heat, and they cooked up great just like yours. Still, I like feeling superior when I tell all my friends I went to that much trouble, so I try to make the effort most of the time.

About the only dish I think I would insist this sort of time consuming prep is absolutely necessary is when I make eggplant lasagne, substituting eggplant "noodles" for the pasta. If I don't desiccate them first they dissolve into mush in the final product. And actually, come to think of it now I'd say the same about some eggplant tarts I've made, and also breaded and fried slices. You can get pretty good results without drawing out that moisture in those, but the difference between them and denser, dryer slices is worth the extra steps to me. (Well...it to my wife. Which, she says, is the same thing.) :lol:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."