Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Poll: Who hates green bell peppers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Green bell peppers: Love 'em or hate 'em?

Yay! Love 'em!
36%
They're just okay
39%
Meh
3%
I'd really rather not
6%
BOO! Hate 'em!
9%
Other (discuss)
6%

Total votes : 33
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Poll: Who hates green bell peppers?

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Jenise wrote:
Ted Richards wrote:I've never seen the point of yellow, white or purple bell peppers, except for the colour. They don't seem to have as much flavour as either red or green.

Yellow are probably the least flavorful. However my biggest complaint about both yellow and orange is that they tend to be softer, less crisp. Big loss IMO.

I agree that white and purple peppers often don't deliver, but yellow peppers (at least the ones I buy) do have fresh sweetish flavor, and aside from the color they are great in dishes where you don't want the sometimes-overwhelming sweetness of red peppers.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:
Ted Richards wrote:I've never seen the point of yellow, white or purple bell peppers, except for the colour. They don't seem to have as much flavour as either red or green.

Yellow are probably the least flavorful. However my biggest complaint about both yellow and orange is that they tend to be softer, less crisp. Big loss IMO.

I agree that white and purple peppers often don't deliver, but yellow peppers (at least the ones I buy) do have fresh sweetish flavor, and aside from the color they are great in dishes where you don't want the sometimes-overwhelming sweetness of red peppers.

Good call--I should have said 'mildest' instead of 'least flavorful'--I too choose them for this reason and didn't mean to make them sound unworthy. But still, they're often a little softer/less crisp than other colors and I have no idea why.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Just had a really crisp and flavorful orange bell pepper sliced up in my salad tonight. The CSA share this week had yellow, purple and orange peppers, not to mention a bunch of green and red jalapeños. Going to grill the jalapeños tomorrow.
Decisions are made by those who show up
Previous