Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Personal food challenge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Personal food challenge

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:06 pm

You see, there are a number of foods that over the years (mostly childhood) that have made their way onto my "Do Not Put In Mouth" list. This summer I've been challenging myself to give these foods another try, or in some instances, try for the first time. Here's the results so far:

Kale: I really like this stuff. I like it raw in salads, I like it sauteed. I think I just like it.

Lima Beans: Don't hate 'em, but can live out my days without eating another portion.

Jerusalem Artichokes: They're OK, but not something I'll avoid or seek out

Yogurt: I always recall disliking the texture of this stuff. Haven't had it for maybe 30 years until this week and it has earned a place in my lite lunch rotation. They've either improved yogurt over the years or my palate is achangin'.

Raw Zucchini: I've always like zukes in baked dishes but raw was another matter. Still not a favorite, but I'm including a few slices on my salads.

Cucumber: Has retained a slot on the DPIM list.

Next up: Beets and brussells spouts if I can find some fresh ones.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Personal food challenge

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 pm

I love limas either alone or with corn (succotash), but feel the same way about asparagus as you do limas. I'll eat it very young steamed and lathered with Hollandaise sauce only.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:34 pm

What a great idea, 'winger!

I haven't done this so formally but I have noticed that, as I get older (and acquire greater composure about what to do with that HORRID thing someone put on my plate), I like a lot of previously icky things: beets, brussels sprouts (only fresh), and a few others. Some things still don't fly - why do people eat kohlrabi and turnips? - but it's been interesting.

Anyway, good on ya!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:53 pm

I eat kohlrabi and turnips because I always have.

My mother taught me well. I will eat what is put in front of me - even green bell peppers.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Parsley. Or raw parsley, anyway. It's not a food, it's a table decoration. And turning it into tabbouleh does not help at all.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Kohlrabi is a great snack with beer if sliced thin and sprinkled with a little salt. You've got to like cabbage heart type stuff though.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 pm

My mother was of the old-school American "if it ain't grey it ain't done yet" school of (over)cooking vegetables. As a child I loathed most cooked veggies, although I liked many of the same veggies when raw (carrots and celery, for instance). I particularly loathed all of the brassicas, which I classified as "smelly vegetables". Brussels sprouts were the worst abomination. They concentrated all of the horrible characteristics of an entire head of cabbage into something just large enough that you had to bite it at least once before you could swallow it.

When I started cooking for myself I made big discoveries about vegetables. For example, I remember the first time I picked up fresh broccoli in the supermarket. I was surprised that it didn't droop. :D I discovered that most of the veggies I detested, even the "smelly vegetables", were edible, and even good, if you didn't overcook them.

I still don't care for green beans and lima beans, though.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Oh my. There's not one vegetable I don't like, though of course I like some better than others--most, I actually love both cooked and raw including some that aren't conventionally served raw, like asparagus. But that aside: good work, Bill. Ever read Jeffrey Steingarten's The Man Who Ate Everything? His chapter on going through a similar exercise, though for different reasons, is hilarious.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Winger, for the beets, may I suggest the following? Oil and bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 mins. Peel and slice. Season with salt, a dash of cinnamon and cumin, 1 crushed garlic clove, about one-half to one Tbsp honey, splash of olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, pinch of cayenne. Best if set for at least one hour before serving. Great over salad greens with orange slices and a balsamic vinegarette.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:why do people eat kohlrabi and turnips

I agree. I never buy them. Which is one advantage of being the person in the household who does the shopping and cooking. The menus suit your taste!

My wife likes kohlrabi and turnips, but not enough to actually cook them herself!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Redwinger wrote:Jerusalem Artichokes: They're OK, but not something I'll avoid or seek out

I agree. I think I had a good portion maybe 10-15 years ago, but not since. (Although admittedly I haven't tried hard)

Cucumber: Has retained a slot on the DPIM list.

That's interesting. What don't you like about cucumber? Crisp and refreshing and mild. Seems inoffensive. Around this time of year I love them for the refreshing crunch and mild herbal flavors. Great component to meals filled with flavorful juicy tomatoes and eggplant.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 pm

We ate turnips all the time in my Southern childhood...but it was more the turnip greens than the root. Yeah, we'd eat the root, sometimes chopped up in the greens, which were cooked with bacon fat and either pork belly side meat or hamhocks in a big pot.

Was never all that crazy about the root, although sometimes my mother would make this mashed turnip root with spices in it that was palatable enough.

A favorite late night before bed snack in those day (no central heat, cold bedrooms) was to heat up the "pot likker" the turnips were boiled in and have that piping hot with cold corn bread. (Didn't know that's where most of the nutrients were from the time honored habit of cooking the veggies until they were mushy. It just tasted good.)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Rahsaan wrote:That's interesting. What don't you like about cucumber? Crisp and refreshing and mild. Seems inoffensive. Around this time of year I love them for the refreshing crunch and mild herbal flavors. Great component to meals filled with flavorful juicy tomatoes and eggplant.

It's the smell. Just can't get past that...I tried.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Raw carrots make my eyes itch. (No problem when cooked)

And I still hate celery! It just IRRITATES me for some reason.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 pm

I had never had Kohlrabi but I bought some and kind of fell in love with Hungarian Kohlrabi soup.

They reverse the consonants, Karalabi.

You cook and puree -- it's a milky soup, and everyone I have served it to liked it. It was the first course at Thanksgiving with friends a couple of years back.

One version

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/so ... bisoup.htm

The flavor is very mild compared with other crucifers.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Fun read. I'm with Jenise on this. There is not a vegetable that I do not like or would not eat raw or cooked. would sooner try an unknown vegetable over anything else unknown. I could easily be a vegetarian.
Robin, I am sure you would like parsley pesto - Pezzemolo with capers, anchovies, olive oil. Not a vegetable but a darn good sauce on steamed or roasted vegetables, poached or grilled fish, meat, old catchers mitt....
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:37 pm

My personal food challenge, which I have no desire to overcome is desserts. When, for a casual, spur of the moment dinner invitation goes out and guests ask what to bring, I end up saying "Dessert". If left up to me I usually offer fruit, nuts and maybe a piece of good chocolate and this does not satisfy most. I feel terrible, however, refusing a taste of the contribution and ask for a tiny piece but I really do not enjoy ending a meal with a heavy, sweet dish. If I do a dessert for a more planned event I usually do something that contains fruit in a minimally sweet, even savory way. Grilled seasonal fruit or fruit macerated in a wine or liquor or a galette. Because guests seem to love chocolate I will also have a Chocolate Nemesis from the River Cafe Cookbook or Ruth Beranbaum's Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte but I never touch that stuff. Fortunately, my husband is "Mikey will eat it" when it comes to dessert.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I usually do something that contains fruit in a minimally sweet, even savory way. Grilled seasonal fruit or fruit macerated in a wine or liquor or a galette.

I feel your pain! I hate that, when entertaining, a meal seems incomplete without dessert and yet most people are already full and would just as soon skip the calories but we can't say that unless we're with known like minds, so we all make, and serve, dessert. I was in that quandary yesterday. My guest was someone who cooks simply but is justifiably famous around here for her pies. I couldn't NOT serve dessert. So I compromised with fresh raspberries to which I applied sugar for maceration, and then added peeled and sliced nectarines to soak until they turned red. Melba, but without the ice cream. Easy, small, light and sweetly refreshing, it fills the need but not the tummies.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:28 pm

We nearly always serve dessert, but we'll err on the side of very small portions. Anyone who wants more can always have more.

For whatever reason (maybe just conditioning), I do like to end the meal with a little something sweet.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Sweets are great at the end of the meal. I always have fruit after lunch and dinner. And maybe we run in different circles but on my end it seems like no one likes to eat big desserts these days, always angling for a small piece and such. Almost to the point that it can get annoying, because I'm not afraid of calories when the food is good. But I don't necessarily want to make a big dessert and then feel like I'm forcing it on people.

I've also never had anyone complain about a basic/simple/light dessert, as I'll sometimes go with fruit and ice cream/sorbet.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:02 am

I very often choose ice cream / gelato / sorbet as my dessert because so many desserts are so terrible.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:06 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I very often choose ice cream / gelato / sorbet as my dessert because so many desserts are so terrible.

In restaurants? I'm often reluctant to go that route unless I know they make it themselves and do a good job. Many places are more likely to have someone making the pastries but may purchase the ice cream. I think?

Anyway, I only order dessert in excellent restaurants, otherwise it's just not worth it.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:07 am

My challenge was side tracked a bit by a couple of weeks traveling.
I've now discovered that various squash are indeed edible.
This week I intend to give bok choi another go. Probably will stir fry with some ginger, soy sauce and garlic, but am open to other suggestions. .
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:01 am

Redwinger wrote:My challenge was side tracked a bit by a couple of weeks traveling.
I've now discovered that various squash are indeed edible.
This week I intend to give bok choi another go. Probably will stir fry with some ginger, soy sauce and garlic, but am open to other suggestions. .

Made me laugh (re the squash). Re the bok choy, considering using sesame oil instead of plain. With garlic and ginger, it's perfect bok choy seasoning. Also, bok choy is one of our favorite fried rice ingredients--every now and then when I get a Chinese food jones, a big bowl of vegetarian fried rice is a favorite binge--the bok choy, substantial amounts of it (an entire head, for two, it cooks down quite a bit)--sautéed separately and then incorporated back into the rice, reduces the carb load and adds a lot of fiber. And, it just tastes good.
Next