Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Creamed spinach!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Creamed spinach!

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Garden comfort food: Creamed spinach! Made with organic butter and milk because antibiotics and hormones aren’t good eats.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: Creamed spinach!

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:33 am

i was asked for a recipe. This hardly counts as a "recipe," but it goes like this: Cook fresh spinach in just the water that clings to its leaves, just until it wilts. Drain very well, chop, season with S&P, and set aside. Make a bechamel (white sauce) with a butter-flour roux and a little hot milk. Stir in the chopped spinach, heat through, check seasoning and serve.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Highly recommend including nutmeg and white pepper in the seasoning--gives it a little boost of something special.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:29 am

Jenise wrote:Highly recommend including nutmeg and white pepper in the seasoning--gives it a little boost of something special.

Those are the iconic flavorings, all right! In the winter, I'd be right there with you. But when we're dealing with the bounty of fresh summer veggies, sometimes I like to keep seasonings as simple as possible and let the fresh flavor shine.