Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chef Joseph Carey is very sick

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Chef Joseph Carey is very sick

by Jenise » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:59 am

He's in the ICU at a hospital in Jackson--oh what is it, Mississippi? Maybe, I'll verify. Not sure what the underlying problem is but his blood pressure went through the floor and he's getting transfusions. He's unable to talk (breathing equipment, I guess), but his sister in law Rita is holding up an iPad for him so he can see comments and stuff on Facebook, all of which is cheering him up greatly.

So I thought I'd make a Joseph Carey dinner tonight and take pictures for Rita to show him. Not sure what I'm making yet, but I have two of his books and will use his recipes. For those of you not connected to him on Facebook, posting good wishes to this thread anyone wants to join me and post to this thread, or send him wishes period, I'll send Rita a link so that Joseph can see your messages.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Chef Joseph Carey is very sick

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm not on Facebook, but sorry to hear this, and send best wishes for a full and swift recovery.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 pm

So sorry to hear the news. Sending thoughts of warm remembrances of his presence on this forum in the past and best wishes.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:05 am

Good wishes for swift and complete recovery. I miss his posts.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:02 am

Why is it always the good ones? Hate to hear this. Speedy recovery, Chef.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Battle on, old soldier. Battle on.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Dammit.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:53 pm

For those not on Facebook, there is some encouraging news. Yesterday they removed the trach tube, so he is no longer "entubared" (his term, not mine :)).
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:03 pm

So I made a Cheer Up Joseph Carey dinner last night after thumbing through Chef on Fire. I had thought it would be an easier choice than it turned out to be: I was very intrigued by his Irish Stew but the lamb required would have required a 25 mile drive into town and I couldn't do that AND go to the farmers market in Lynden, so the lamb lost that fight. His Coquilles St. Jacques sounded very appealing as I haven't made that in years, a Coulibiac was also calling out to me but I didn't think I'd have the time for that degree of labor, Joseph's mother's recipe for red beans and rice scored high with me because I can't imagine what, lying in a hospital bed, could give him more warm fuzzies than that, but Bob who just didn't think it was bean weather.

So I went with Lobster Creole, a mash-up of his recipe for Creole Sauce and a comment made elsewhere in the book that boiled lobster with drawn butter is his favorite food in the world. I had four shrimp and a good sized lobster tail in the freezer, good summer tomatoes, and as it turned out later, an assortment of fresh, colorful chiles from the farmers market--given to me by the seller because it was the end of the day and, as she said in a lowered voice so as not to overheard by anyone standing close, "Lyndenites don't eat spicy food". Lynden is the Dutch town where the Mexican restaurants serve cole slaw on the combo plates, for gosh sakes. I served it with a molded mound of basmati rice and a gem-like scatter of dehydrated okra ground to a pretty sand consistency. A salad of Belgian endive, shaved Brussels sprouts, shaved celery and baby greens preceded the Creole.

In the meantime I'll get some lamb for that Irish stew. It's similar, in method, to a dish I remember Richard "El Lay" Morgan, who many of you who have been around a long time may remember. Though a longtime Los Angeles resident, Richard was English-born and this was something he grew up with though he didn't call it Irish Stew. Meat, potatoes and onions are layered, covered with beef broth in Joseph's case and mere water in Richard's, and baked until all the liquid is gone and the onions and potatoes break down into a wonderful goo. Joseph calls for the lamb to be cubed, Richard called for it to be sliced about 1/4", IIRC--a textural difference. Richard's version, which I made once, was a bit on the plain side, but Joseph's won't be!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Redwinger wrote:For those not on Facebook, there is some encouraging news. Yesterday they removed the trach tube, so he is no longer "entubared" (his term, not mine :)).

Cool, now he can tell Rita in his own voice that my Lobster Creole was undersauced. :) (I prefer it dryer, more like a Chinese stir fry than swimming in sauce.)