Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Gonna make this today. Thanks Robert J wherever you are...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Gonna make this today. Thanks Robert J wherever you are...

by Fred Sipe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:12 am

Robert J's Chili

Brown:

2 1/2 # Meat (I used Bison for this one as it looked really good. But I usually dice up some beef sirloin.)
1 large onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, diced

Begin browning the meat and then add onions and garlic. Drain some of the fat off. I put a little bacon fat in the dutch oven as the bison is kind of lean.

When the meat is browned and onions are translucent add:

3-4 bottles of Shiner 98 Amber Beer or Shiner Bock.
4 Medium tomatoes, diced

Simmer this for a bit while the tomatoes soften. Then add:

3 tsp. ground dried oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika
4-6 Tbsp. Ground Chiles (I used Aji Amarillo, 6 Tbsp. I also wanted more heat so I put in a Tbsp. of some hot-as-all-get-out chipotle near the end.)

Simmer 30 minutes, don't rush. Go longer if you want. I was making cookies and simmered for about an hour or so.

I tasted (no salt yet) and wanted more red color and tomato flavor. I added 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste.

Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to taste. ( I used 1 1/2 Tbsp salt and "30 second" pepper from the pepper mill; grind for 30 seconds.)

Now here is the shocker: I love love love mole; real mole. So I have, over the years experimented with flavoring to enhance the chiles and deepen the complexity. I add at the end:

1 oz. Best quality unsweetened chocolate (Callebaut).
1 Tbsp. Fresh Ground Almond Butter

The almond butter also acts as a thickener. If you like your chili thicker then make a slurry of masa and water. If you don't have masa then use a little cornstarch slurry.

Taste again for salt and chile heat. Add more of what you need. I think that I put a little more cumin in too. Simmer for another 30 minutes, at least. Don't rush. Let the chili sit so its flavors can blend.

Don't you dare put beans in this recipe. Use somebody else's recipe if you want to add beans. Serve with fresh diced onions and grated cheese.