Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone use meatball tongs?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone use meatball tongs?

by Jenise » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 am

Was shopping on Chefs.com for a new can opener (mine went ker-chunk while I was opening a can the other day and bit the dust) and saw these meatball tongs. Wonder how well they work? I like the idea for the sake of uniformity, although I actually like getting my hands in there and rolling the balls myself. Kind of fun.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/301 ... tongs.aspx
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Anyone use meatball tongs?

by Tom Troiano » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:49 pm

I use a similar item for making balls of homemade sorbet.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:50 pm

I generally don't like things like this because they make the meatballs too dense. I like swirling them around in my hand and getting a softer meatball out of the process. This probably comes from my technique for making very light motzo balls. A hard matzo ball is against my particular religious beliefs.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 pm

No meatball scoop here. Handses, my precious. :lol:

I do use a melon baller and an ice cream scoop.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:00 pm

We use them all time and they don't get too compact.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm an adherent to the Alton Brown principle: There's no room for "uni-taskers" in a busy kitchen. Sole exception being the fire extinguisher. :lol:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:57 pm

We also use ours making cookies, and a number of other tasks.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 pm

I think Dr. Mengele used something very similar.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Redwinger wrote:I think Dr. Mengele used something very similar.

OUCH!

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Yes, nowadays most are sold to the North Korean government.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Redwinger wrote:I think Dr. Mengele used something very similar.

LOL, 'Winger.

You too, Mike.

@Robin: in general, I agree, and that's what keeps me away from Panini presses and their ilk. But I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater to judge single-purpose small hand tools by the same measure: were I to personally live by that standard, among the things I'd have to part with would be the ice cream scoop (after all, a spoon can do it, and it's not like I scoop ice cream all the time--probably no more than once per year), a turkey baster (once again, a spoon can do it), a curved slicing device that divorces corn kernels from the cob, needle nose plyers that have no other job than removing small fish bones, and an asparagus peeler--talk about a specialty item! I really only use it for white asparagus which isn't something I can get very often! So, point is: small hand tools are very often precision-oriented uni-taskers that make food more beautiful, certain tasks easier or certain refinements in preparation doable that otherwise could not be done (like that asparagus peeler--white asparagus snaps so easily, you'd lose half your stalks to any other method).

Interesting divergences of opinion here on the meatball tongs. Perhaps it's a matter of technique to not over-pack them--at any rate, you all have convinced me that I'd like to try a pair. I've got room in the general hand tool drawer for one of these. If they don't work out, I can mail them to Kim Jong Un. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:58 pm

I have the same phenomenon in the automotive realm.

For instance when I am rebuilding a transmission, a factory manual may call for a half dozen special tools to do the job, and yet I can accomplish it using normal tools and a bit of creativity. Those are 'tools you don't need to own'

There are other specialized tools that nothing will substitute for, and I have a collection of them, even though some (cam shaft setting keys for an engine they only made 2000 of) I use once a decade.

There are a group of intermediate tools - where you CAN get awy by using something else, but the specialized tool makes it so much easier that it is worth splurging and buying the right tool.

I'd put Jenise's ice cream scoop in that category.

So - stuff you don't need in food would include olive pitters, spiral vegetable cutters etc.

Don't need but want - ice cream scoops, plating rings, boning knives, grapefruit knives

Things that you can live without (and they'd just clutter up your drawers - anything "as seen on TV"

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NerBE-JorMA
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:So - stuff you don't need in food would include olive pitters, spiral vegetable cutters etc.

I once bought a book about food decoration and it came with a bag of special-purpose tools: a spiral cutter, a channel knife, etc. I've used one or two, down through the years. But the book was a good read!
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:08 am

I can see Captain Hook using one, but of all Swedes I have seen making meatballs, nobody ever used such an unnecessary utensil.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Bill Spohn wrote: grapefruit knives

I'm familiar with what those are, but that would actually be a don't need/don't want for me since we use grapefruit spoons which are, btw, not only a superior way to eat grapefruit vs. pre-cutting, which I think leaves too much fruit behind, but also great multi-taskers. Great for scraping the hairy stuff from inside a squash once the seeds are out, and removing the chokes from artichokes.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm familiar with what those are, but that would actually be a don't need/don't want for me since we use grapefruit spoons which are, btw, not only a superior way to eat grapefruit than pre-cutting but also great multi-taskers. Great for scraping the hairy stuff from inside a squash once the seeds are out, and removing the chokes from artichokes.

Grapefruit spoons are great.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!