Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Temptation....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Temptation....

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:13 pm

Okay, when you're shopping, what products tempt you so much that you have to struggle not to buy them? I'm talking about products that most likely aren't good for you.

With me, I'm a potato chip junkie, but I rarely buy them. I've got a little devil on one shoulder ("Go ahead, Larry, they're sooo good," and my conscience on the other telling me, "Larrryyy...donnnn't buy it."

I must have a redneck gene in me, too, because whenever I pass bags of chicharonnes (fried pork rinds)--particularly the hot ones--I have to look the other way because they call to me, "Laaarrrryyyy...come here and buyyy meee." I want some as I'm writing this because I passed some in a store today. Fortunately I break down only once or twice per year.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Temptation....

by Bob Ross » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:23 pm

Licorice.

Jelly beans.

Licorice jelly beans.

Licorice is supposed to be good for overall body tonic. Don't know about the tonic part, but I sure understand the body part of the prescription. :D
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:07 am

I love good black licorice. It's good for you up to a point. Too much (lots and lots) can give you tachycardia.

Have you ever chewed on a natural licorice root?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:20 am

I'm pretty good about avoiding most temptations. Once in a while, I will get a small loaf of something like asiago cheese bread and eat it all in the car on the way home from work. And every now and then, I end up with a pack of Hot Tamales or Sprees.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:06 am

Mike and I agree. The temptation of that wonderful loaf of fat, starch, and salt is much too much. They always seem to come in the single serving size...

The worst, though, is during the summer when cherries are in season. They never make it home from the market no matter how much I buy. And I never make it out of the bathroom for the next 24 hours.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:18 am

Would you then say cherries are the pits?
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:23 am

Bacon....love the stuff. But only buy it occasionally. Fry it up..serve with a couple of hot biscuits...and...boy, I hate to admit this...dip the biscuit into the hot bacon grease...

Which is why I don't buy the stuff very often.

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 am

Where was my brain? Bacon is at the top of my list for avoiding, but every once in a while I feel like that dog treat commercial: Bacon...bacon....BACON!

At a Xmas party the other night, one of the finger foods was grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp. Naturally I didn't eat a single one. Right....
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:53 am

"Have you ever chewed on a natural licorice root?"

No -- I'll try to find some. There's a wild licorice that grows in this area, but the roots don't have much flavor.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Peanut butter cups.

Premium ice cream. I am quite sure Ben & Jerry's only comes in single serving sizes too, Stuart. :oops:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 pm

Chili Cheese Fritos.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:45 pm

Cheetos.

Baked, fried, don't care.

Bacon's a problem too.

Got the chip thing under control lately.
Howard
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Okay, when you're shopping, what products tempt you so much that you have to struggle not to buy them?

Wine :oops:

On the food front though, it varies. I often resolve to go easy on one thing and then pick up the saved calories somewhere else.

Agree with the licorice though - fantastic stuff. We even get Darrell Lea Licorice here now :)

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:04 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:The worst, though, is during the summer when cherries are in season. They never make it home from the market no matter how much I buy. And I never make it out of the bathroom for the next 24 hours.

Interesting, as I pigged out on sour cherries this summer (and every year, pretty much), sometimes eating as much as five or six soup bowls' worth at a sitting. Yet it's never come close to acting as rocket fuel for the gut ... I must be lucky.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:20 am

I could add that if they sold 99 cent bags of Hanover's Sour Dough Pretzels (and we're talking about the extra large conventional pretzel shape, not the newfangled nuggets or logs--they're just not as satisfying) at checkout stands, those would pose a problem, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:39 am

Two words:
Ferrara Torrone
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:54 am

Pastries, danishes, cookies, cake, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, pound cake, pastries, pastries, and cinnamon rolls.

At the store where I work, each morning I walk through the bakery and look at the grocery carts full, absolutely stuffed full, of the aforementioned day-olds. We give all of it to the local food bank but it is everything in my power to not grab some. If you listen very close at 5 in the morning CST then you will hear the 'THUD' when I fall and give into temptation.

I also have a big weakness for basses. This poses a problem because they are so damned expensive (the ones I like). Fortunately I don't always have $1000+ burning a hole in my pocket. Though I did just splurge recently on something a bit less than that.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:02 pm

Honestly, I can't think of too many things food-wise that would tempt me ... unless perhaps it's buying too many untried spices in the spirit of "gee, I wonder what this'll be like?" Accumulation of things can cause clutter, though I'm pretty good at never letting it get that way, and make neat and tidy places for everything I do buy.

I do not have a sweet tooth, so I consider myself blessed in never being tempted to buy sweets or to overindulge in them.

That said, I do have a weakness, perhaps, for buying CDs - I love customizing my musical collection and am always a sucker for thematic CDs that I typically find while in a particular musical mood.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 pm

Jenise wrote:I could add that if they sold 99 cent bags of Hanover's Sour Dough Pretzels (and we're talking about the extra large conventional pretzel shape, not the newfangled nuggets or logs--they're just not as satisfying) at checkout stands, those would pose a problem, too.

Our Dollar Tree stores do sell boxes (for $1) of Hanover's Sourdough Pretzels and I do buy them occasionally. BTW, I visited the Hanover plant several years ago. Very interesting. Did you know that Pennsylvania is the pretzel capital of the world?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:.....Did you know that Pennsylvania is the pretzel capital of the world?
did you know that Warsaw, NY (about 40 miles SE of Buffalo) is the cabbage capital of the world? :shock:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:11 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:.....Did you know that Pennsylvania is the pretzel capital of the world?
did you know that Warsaw, NY (about 40 miles SE of Buffalo) is the cabbage capital of the world? :shock:

I'm so glad I'm originally from Pennsylvania! :D
Last edited by James Roscoe on Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Howie Hart wrote:

Oh, yeah...well, Pennsylvania is also the potato chip capital. So there.