Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New Orleans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefCarey

New Orleans

by ChefCarey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:22 pm

This is a good sign I think. I got an email this morning from one of the owners of the joint where I lived while working on my Creole book and during my book tour there. Looks like they are up and running full bore again. A brand new web site.

Just a couple of blocks away from here was one of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans - on the border of the French Quarter and Marigny. It's normally very quiet in this area, the last time I stayed there notwithstanding. (*Immediately* across the street they were shooting scenes for "All the King's Men" - the *entire* time I was there.)

Marisol was the restaurant. Peter Vazquez was the chef. Katrina did it in. Or, more precisely the insurance company which refused to pay did it in.

They ain't recompensing me in any manner for this:

http://www.lamaisonmarigny.com

(Oh, I don't stay in the main building, but I ain't telling you where I stay. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: New Orleans

by Jenise » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:24 pm

What a nice looking place. And on Bourbon street, too. I'm trying to think of where I stayed last time I was there...it's a fashion name. Too bad about Marisol, I couldn't get a table when I stayed there, or I'd know more about what a loss is it. Ditto Peristyle. Ah...Claiborne. Claiborne Mansion is where I stayed, and Liz is a relative. Owned/run by a woman who acts with a bitter/angry personae that makes people feel hated on first sight, a most curious thing for an innkeeper. I was the only person she seemed to like, so I learned that she was a good friend of Eileen Brennan and a former restaurauteur herself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov