Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Early Christmas present!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Early Christmas present!

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:08 pm

So I received a Cuisinart Custom Pro 11 EV-11 food processor (also known as a DLC-2011N.) Look really cool, but I've never used any food processor before.

So what will this baby do? What does it work for? What are its limitations? When does the blender, eggbeater, hand mixer or knife perform better?

Help!

TIA
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Early Christmas present!

by Howie Hart » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:15 pm

Congratulations on your gift! Can't help you out with it. I have a small Kithen-Aid model that I use quite a bit. I use the chopping/slicing blade for carrots celery and the like when making soup and shredding cheese. The sharp one that works like a blender makes great pesto and stuff.

BTW - How's the wine coming along?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:21 pm

Nice present, Jim! We have a Cuisinart that's been in our kitchen for quite a few years and shows no sign of slowing down.

I'm trying to think of what we commonly use it for. It's great for grating cheese, as Howie said. I've used it to make pastry crusts before - I think it worked pretty well for that. I've seen plenty of recipes using them for breadmaking, but I've always either done that by hand or used a stand mixer. We've used it for pesto.

There's gotta be a lot I'm leaving out here, but I'm sure others will chime in. But if you've never used one, the best part is that you have plenty of fun experimentation ahead!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:25 pm

Recent uses in the past month: pasta dough. Forcemeat stuffings (ever stuff an artichoke?). Cookie/cracker/bread crumbs (like graham cracker crust for a cheesecake.)
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:35 pm

Bread crumbs from dry or toasted bread. :idea:
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Howie -

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:51 pm

BTW - How's the wine coming along?

We racked last week. And of course tasted a little. We still have three separate batches: Merlot/syrah, cab, and zin.

We drank a bottle of our "Zinfandel Nouveau" with Thanksgiving dinner. I think you make this wine when you fail to do a green harvest...

The merlot/syrah blend and the cab are a little harsh right now, but I think they will get better. I don't think we will have anything worth holding onger than a couple years, but we're learning!
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)