Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

My Rachael Ray rant.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: My Rachael Ray rant.....

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:07 pm

So that is reason to disrespect her?

No, but I see no reason to accord her respect above and beyond that which the host would give to any other guest.

There are plenty of good reasons to disrepect said host...
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:11 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Maybe this will work, complimentory of Gary B..........

http://www.101lifestyle.com/celebs/rachel_ray.html

Does anyone wanna see her wallpaper??? BTW, I just went to youtube. She was in an Iron Chef and won!! When was that?

Don't blame me. I didn't post it!!!!! :oops:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
So that is reason to disrespect her?

No, but I see no reason to accord her respect above and beyond that which the host would give to any other guest.

There are plenty of good reasons to disrepect said host...

Perhaps Rachael was just being her ditzy self and meant no particular disrespect to Laura? I wouldn't be surprised if she wore the same types of clothes and acted in the same manner around her other guests. This would make her a terrible choice as a talk show hostess, but that's pretty much a given.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:13 pm

I think the difference is that Bill Clinton knew how to roll with it. It seems that Laura Bush doesn't.

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:35 pm

Perhaps Rachael was just being her ditzy self and meant no particular disrespect to Laura? I wouldn't be surprised if she wore the same types of clothes and acted in the same manner around her other guests.

Bing-o.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:42 pm

In the first place Ryan, I doubt that the First Lady has ever watched a RR talk show, nor cooking show. She is I think, trying to help mend some fences for the administration. I doubt that she expected anyone to fawn over her, but I seriously doubt that she expected a talk show host/ess to be rude to her either. I don't know who Jon Stewart is or anything about his show, but from what you say, it is one for me to stay far far away from, even from across my living room floor.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:13 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:In the first place Ryan, I doubt that the First Lady has ever watched a RR talk show, nor cooking show. She is I think, trying to help mend some fences for the administration.

Of course, Bob, if this is true, then Laura Bush proves that these people don't know what they are doing. Not the part about not watching RR--for that I commend anyone--but the part about grabbing at any talk show in an attempt to make amends.

There is a sure-fire way for this administration to make amends and it has nothing to do with preventing a theatrical death behind a TV camera...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:41 pm

Thomas, I have little to no respect for the Prez, and by extension his handymen, but I do have some for her. In comparison to Dubya,she is a rocket scientist. I Know nothing about her staff, and am going to give her the benefit of doubt that she knew nothing about RR and her smart mouth..I might though if it were me, be getting rid of whoever didn't do a better job of briefing me about RR.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:37 pm

I don't know who Jon Stewart is or anything about his show, but from what you say, it is one for me to stay far far away from, even from across my living room floor.

And that's a shame, Bob, because you're missing out on one of the great current comic/satirists, and one of the tightest topical shows imaginable. Jon Stewart is brilliant, and he's surrounded by people equally as brilliant.

His show is so good, as a matter of fact, that many people now tune in to his show----an avowed fake news show, mind you----because they inherently trust that show more than they trust the network (so-called) news shows, from the hoary CBS to the 'fair and balanced' Fox.

Quite a comment on the 'news" shows, and quite a comment in favor of Jon Stewart (and, by extension, his offshoot, Steven Colbert).
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:53 pm

"an avowed fake news show" I didn't know that. Theres no Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. I will keep the faith, there's nothing worse than a liberal cynic. :roll: :cry:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Like I said before Hoke, I don't know what or who this Stewart guy is. But, if he is a cousin of Don Rickles then I would expect a snide remark or two from him. If he is a comic, then I would expect him to make a joke or two when I went on his show, and I would even expect him to take a poke or two in my direction. However, RR is not a comic, nor is she in the business of making political funnies about anyone. Hell, she "ain't" even a Dixie Chick. I remain steadfast that there are certain niceties (for lack of a better term) that is just not done, and being rude to the First lady is not done. No matter who the First Lady is.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:25 pm

I am never going to to watch a RR program on purpose. I just don't get the why so much energy is spent running her down on this forum. In the same vien, I have never understood the deepseated personal disrespect that has been directed at president Bush and his First Lady nor that directed at president Clinton and his First Lady. This is a long-standing issue that has puzzled me no end. The lack of charity exhibited by otherwise decent people is fairly disappointing. Okay, I'm done being an adult now. :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Hoke wrote:
I don't know who Jon Stewart is or anything about his show, but from what you say, it is one for me to stay far far away from, even from across my living room floor.

And that's a shame, Bob, because you're missing out on one of the great current comic/satirists, and one of the tightest topical shows imaginable. Jon Stewart is brilliant, and he's surrounded by people equally as brilliant.

His show is so good, as a matter of fact, that many people now tune in to his show----an avowed fake news show, mind you----because they inherently trust that show more than they trust the network (so-called) news shows, from the hoary CBS to the 'fair and balanced' Fox.

Quite a comment on the 'news" shows, and quite a comment in favor of Jon Stewart (and, by extension, his offshoot, Steven Colbert).

So not to hijack the thread or anything, but do you know if there's ever been a show on television that's done a better job with political satire than the Daily Show, Hoke? I can't think of any, offhand.

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:41 am

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:So not to hijack the thread or anything, but do you know if there's ever been a show on television that's done a better job with political satire than the Daily Show, Hoke? I can't think of any, offhand.

Mike

Not television, but Le Show by Harry Shearer on NPR is pretty darn good, and a touch more intellectual than the Daily Show. But then it has a more limited audience..
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:26 am

do you know if there's ever been a show on television that's done a better job with political satire than the Daily Show, Hoke? I can't think of any, offhand.

South Park. Much crueler and more accurate.
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:32 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:So not to hijack the thread or anything, but do you know if there's ever been a show on television that's done a better job with political satire than the Daily Show, Hoke? I can't think of any, offhand.

Mike

Not television, but Le Show by Harry Shearer on NPR is pretty darn good, and a touch more intellectual than the Daily Show. But then it has a more limited audience..

On occasion, "The Smother's Brothers Show" used to have some good satire. That was why it was "swiffered" oh so many, many years ago. And also currently on NPR, "Wait, Wait.. Don't Tell Me" can be quite good at political satire.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:38 am

Rahsaan wrote:

Mike

Never heard it. But that's not unexpected given our local NPR station and their love of "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". (Popular, but not to my taste.)

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:41 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
do you know if there's ever been a show on television that's done a better job with political satire than the Daily Show, Hoke? I can't think of any, offhand.

South Park. Much crueler and more accurate.

Definitely cruel and accurate. And funny. I see them as more culturally oriented than political, though.

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:52 am

"If you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything at all." (Thumper in "Bambi").
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:"If you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything at all." (Thumper in "Bambi").

Wish everyone who knows me would live by that rule ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:52 pm

Thomas wrote:
Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:"If you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything at all." (Thumper in "Bambi").

Wish everyone who knows me would live by that rule ;)

Sure would cut down on noise pollution, eh? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm

The Daily Show is pretty much at the top of the list in terms of topical satire/political satire.

South Park is great, but I agree that it is more societal than strictly political. And anything that's got mordant humor, trash talk, numerous potty references and a Chef is going to be Yaniger's favorite anyway.

Smothers Comedy Hour was very much a product of its time, and doesn't fare well now. It was a variety hour that got socially conscious and (I expect this statement from me will surprise a bunch of my conservative buddies) it was far too simplistic and totally slanted to the uber-liberal anti-war crowd of the time----more a strident hammering of righteous liberalism than a balanced and wicked puncturing of stupidity and arrogance and ignorance, which is what I think The Daily Show excels at.

And The Daily Show doesn't hesitate to satirize the liberals right along with the far-right. And to my delight it also skewers the vast middle as well, which makes it perfect. Yet it does it in such a way that, oddly enough, few people are offended enough to turn it off. Mostly though, it provides a much needed voice in this era of yelling and shouting huckster/snake oil salesmen/sensationalist Grace/Beck/O'Reilly/everything Fox crap that passes for "journalism and news" in this sorry time.

Mostly, though, the show actually encourages people to think about the stuff we should be thinking about, but usually don't.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Mostly though, it provides a much needed voice in this era of yelling and shouting huckster/snake oil salesmen/sensationalist Grace/Beck/O'Reilly/everything Fox crap that passes for "journalism and news" in this sorry time.

Hoke,

Lets insert CNN crap (instead of FOX) in there with Zahn/L. King/ Nancy Grace?

All of them are the same in content...just different spin depending on your politics. Same stories, just different hucksters.

Richard
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
She holds the position of First Lady and should be respected as such, all snide remarks from the peanut gallery aside. I am saddened at how cynical and disrespectful our society has become.

Well, if you think about it, we've been satyrizing political figures for quite a long time now. Especially here in the US, I think our ability to disrespect the political and monied elite is what keeps them grounded and in their place (public servants).

I didn't see the show, but it sounds like Ms. Ray may have embarrassed herself more than the guest by being intentionally rude rather than satyrical or ironic.

I'm sure that public opinion will be the arbiter of whether she crossed any lines, and her popularity and income will suffer accordingly.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
PreviousNext