Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

July 4th Salad Buffet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

July 4th Salad Buffet

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:19 pm

Anticipating blistering heat on the 4th I'm planning a salad buffet. Made ahead and chilled couldn't be lighter or easier. Planned so far: a black lentil salad with feta, a vinegary coleslaw using pickled red onions, Koryo salad - a recipe from the Korean diaspora in the old Soviet Caucasus which always disappears when served, and a potato salad trying the pickled jalapeno mentioned by Jenise. Hoping I don't get arm twisted for brats and burgers or some type of barbecue.
Planning anything new or different this Fourth ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: July 4th Salad Buffet

by Jenise » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:36 pm

I love the idea of a salad buffet. For any big dinner I always make three or four. I love peas and small bay shrimp in a thyme-laced vinaigrette. Peeled carrot ribbons with fennel seed and raisins. Something that's definitely not my or your thing but extremely popular with people who eat more processed food than we do?--a macaroni salad made with Kraft Mac & Cheese as a base ingredient plus diced ham, green onions, halved cherry tomatoes and once again, oil & vinegar. Snob that I am, even I like that. In Wisconsin, some kind of brat sausage might be an interesting sub for the ham component and give the Meat Eaters something to gnaw on. I almost made it for the bourbon dinner. It's colorful, too.

Truthfully, the last few weeks have been a blue and I haven't given a lick of thought to July 4th. I think it's time to start!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Not a thing planned here. I also have a carrot salad I like, dressed with a citrus vinaigrette and currants (but you're making me think about slivered almonds in there, too). I like mayonnaisy salads but I never make them. :? Peas and shrimp sound good. Deviled eggs sound good.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:28 pm

How could I have forgotten about deviled eggs ? Yes with a smoked trout or salmon garnish.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:How could I have forgotten about deviled eggs ? Yes with a smoked trout or salmon garnish.

Yes! Salmon roe?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Jeff, indeed ! Roe of any type on deviled eggs would raise the bar on this picnic fare. Good idea.
Mamma Mia !