Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What have U never made that U shoulda got round to by now?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What have U never made that U shoulda got round to by now?

by Jenise » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm

My list is unfortunately long, but the first two things that come to mind are:

1. homemade tortillas
2. gumbo

The tortillas are really embarrassing since I've owned a tortilla press for about 30 years.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: What have U never made that U shoulda got round to by no

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Jenise wrote:The tortillas are really embarrassing since I've owned a tortilla press for about 30 years.

Ha! Is it still fresh in the original box/packaging?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:32 pm

No, in fact IIRC it never had a box to begin with. I bought it in a small Mexican market, possibly in Tiajuana. What's on your list?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:12 pm

Well I have made gumbo and tortillas many times.

My main item is Chicken Korma. I have largely perfected my Butter Chicken, so time to move on to the next Laura favorite. Of course the issue with the Korma, is, as with so many Indian dishes, that there are 1000s of versions. I know what we are generally trying to achieve, but that leaves hundreds of recipes. Still a daunting exercise.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:21 pm

What are the essential ingredients that make a korma Korma? I don't think I've ever had any two kormas that were alike enough to ID the dish blind, let alone attempt to make my own since I lack a sense of what I'd be aiming at/for. I can tell you that a lamb korma in London was the best I've had, and my opinions stop there.

We had the WORST butter chicken recently in a local restaurant whose door we shall not darken again. A truly butterless Butter sauce with dry slices of overcooked chicken breast warmed up in it briefly before serving. Horrible. It's on my list of dishes to make at home now, I give up on Indian food in restaurants around here. Everything's dumbed down for white people who don't know the difference between good and bad.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:03 pm

Jenise wrote:What are the essential ingredients that make a korma Korma?

Depends on who is making the Korma. The one Laura loves (from Coriander restaurant in Voorhees, NJ) seems to have a lot of caramelized onions turned into a paste with cashews and cream, as well as quite a lot of cardamom. I do not have the actual recipe, although I have lobbied for it a few times at the cooking demos the restaurant did in the before COVID times.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:00 am

Jenise wrote:What's on your list?

Can't think of things that I've been meaning to make but never have. There are plenty of dishes I made a few times and then never again. Often because of the tools required. I enjoyed making gratin for a while after getting a mandoline, but haven't used it in years.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:38 am

I'm kinda with Rahsaan on this one. Plenty of dishes I've made once or twice and then dropped. But, if I'm envious of a dish, I go look it up to see if I can handle it.

Alas, I have to nix a dish if it is too onion- or berry- dependent but, otherwise, I'm hard-pressed at this instant to think of a dish that was just too hard. (Some things, like Baked Alaska, are not worth the trouble, in my view, but that's probably not what we're talking about.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:42 am

The main thing that makes a korma a korma is the yogurt-based, mild (by Indian standards), thick white sauce. Most korma recipes I've seen also have ground-up almonds, cashews, or white poppy seeds.

My dish that I shoulda got round to by now is Shanghai soup dumplings.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:55 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Something like this, I suppose: https://www.thespruceeats.com/indian-ch ... ma-1957358

That looks promising. Thanks.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Artichokes!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:28 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The main thing that makes a korma a korma is the yogurt-based, mild (by Indian standards), thick white sauce. Most korma recipes I've seen also have ground-up almonds, cashews, or white poppy seeds.

True, but you have demonstrated one of the many variables that results in thousands of variations. I think I am going to try the one Jeff posted the next time "Indian Chicken" hits our menu planning. I can then keep going from there.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:10 pm

Yes, the recipe Jeff posted looks very good indeed.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:29 pm

Strangely the kormas I remember didn't have ground nuts in them, they were smooth sauces (wherein the nut element could have been whizzed into creaminess).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Strangely the kormas I remember didn't have ground nuts in them, they were smooth sauces (wherein the nut element could have been whizzed into creaminess).

Yes - the nuts are supposed to be finely ground.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:46 pm

In the picture with Jeff's recipe, they looked coarse, not fine, to my eye. Nuts in the kormas I've had weren't visible to the eye.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Jenise wrote:In the picture with Jeff's recipe, they looked coarse, not fine, to my eye. Nuts in the kormas I've had weren't visible to the eye.

Yet another of the 1000s of variations. The recipe calls for almond meal. I suspect the irregular texture may not just be nuts.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 pm

Good luck with the recipe, and do report back. I'm curious, too.

I chose that one because (a) I rustled up the menu of your NJ spot and that was the name they used for the dish, and (b) I have generally found Spruce Eats to be reliable.

Looking at the mise, the almond meal is fine. I think the nubbly texture is probably coming from softened onion bits.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:58 am

What makes a Korma a Korma?

Over here in restaurants it's a creamy dish usually with almonds. It's distinguishing feature is the creamy sauce, as opposed to Bhuna which is distinguished by an onion sauce, Dhansak with lentils, and Rogan Josh which has a tomato based sauce

I was listening to today's Food Programme*on BBC Radio 4 which was all about chef/restaurateur Cyrus Todiwala who, after working his way up to Executive Chef in India's Taj Mahal hotels, came to Britain where he opened the influential Café Spice Namaste restaurant.

He spoke about his childhood eating in different houses and said that every village had different cuisines, and that no-one could be an expert on Indian cooking because there were so many variations.

So, I guess that Korma - a standard in UK 'Indian' restaurants - is what people expect. Is it authentic? Probably no such thing.

(I've never had Korma - I don't like creamy dishes.)

*https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000xdsj
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Korma is an authentic Indian dish of Mughlai origin, characterized by a white, yogurt-based sauce. I have no idea how authentic the UK restaurant versions are. Probably closer than what we get in Indian restaurants in the US.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:27 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Korma is an authentic Indian dish of Mughlai origin.

No quibble from me, but I doubt the current Korma cooked in northern India is identical to what was served to the Moghuls.

Restaurants have to supply what their audience wants/expects, made from what is available where they are. Different chefs interpret dishes in their own way, even if the ingredients are the same, the proportions will differ and thus taste different.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:00 pm

Peter May wrote:He spoke about his childhood eating in different houses and said that every village had different cuisines, and that no-one could be an expert on Indian cooking because there were so many variations.

“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?” -- Charles de Gaulle.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:04 pm

Given that we live in a city with a large Indian population and food components re easily obtainable, there are a few Indian dishes that I am remiss in making - even simple things like saag paneer, which makes a nice vegetarian side.

And I am way behind my usual experimentation rate on terrines due to Covid and lack of experimental volunteers to taste them. Think I have only done two in the last year!
Next