Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RC: The Herb Farm Lentil Strudel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RC: The Herb Farm Lentil Strudel

by Jenise » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 pm

I had this terrific little strudel made by at a local dinner where Seattle chef Jerry Traunfeld, author of the new Herb Farm cookbook, then pulled the recipe out of a friend's copy of his new book and made it myself to serve as a finger-food appetizer for a Middle Eastern themed dinner, which it fit into seemlessly. My filling was identical to Jerry's, but where his phyllo collapsed into one neat, unibody of a wrapper, mine was too flakey and didn't cut neatly. Problem could be that the recipe is simply deficient in the amount of butter it calls for (I used exactly six ounces and needed every drop)--I also wonder about using some olive oil either in combination or instead. Has anyone here ever used oil in place of butter in a phyllo recipe? I haven't tried that substitution.

Anyway, in spite of my issues with the wrapper, the strudel was a delicious success, and I highly recommend this recipe.

THE HERB FARM'S LENTIL STRUDEL

2 T olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c dry French du puy lentils
1-3/4 c water
1-1/2 t salt, Kosher
1-1/2 T chopped thyme
1/4 c chopped mint
1/4 c chopped parsley
A few grinds of black pepper
6 oz chevre type goat cheese
24 sheets phyllo pastry, 9" x 14"
12 T or 6 oz soft melted butter

Saute onion and garlic about three minutes until soft. Add lentils, water and salt, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer approximately 45 min or until tender.

If there's any liquid left, drain. In large mixing bowl, add lentils, herbs and pepper. When the lentils cool, add cheese. Divide mixture into 6 portions.

Brush one phyllo sheet with butter, add another, and repeat to four layers, butter on top. Add 1/6th of the filling in cylindrical shape on long side of phyllo stack, at about 1" from the edge. Roll strudel, not too tight. Butter the rolls as you finish. Repeat until all pastry and filling are used. Bake 375 deg. 25 - 30 min. until golden brown. Let cool. cut each strip into 11-12 pieces.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Re: RC: The Herb Farm Lentil Strudel

by Ines Nyby » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:03 pm

I loved that strudel, Jenise, and I thought there was plenty of butter in it. The mint and other herbs really came through on the flavor and it was a great match for some of the rose wines we had.
Ines
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RC: The Herb Farm Lentil Strudel

by Jenise » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:17 am

I loved it too, but of course I had the image of Jerry's in my head and wanted mine just like his. And I've been thinking about it since I posted this--I wonder if he deep-fried his? Looking back on all the phyllo things I've made in my life, the texture of his crust probably isn't possible even with twice as much butter. And the kitchen he was cooking in did was outfitted with a pro kitchen deep fryer--another tempura-battered appetizer was also fried.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov