Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Emergency! Emergency! Lan Chi's gone missing!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Emergency! Emergency! Lan Chi's gone missing!

by Jenise » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:55 pm

I'm out of Lan Chi and decided to see if by any cruel reason I could buy it on Amazon. Found evidence that they had sold it but are now out. Ditto an online Asian market which showed it with these words: "We are uncertain when, if ever, we'll be able to get this product again." And then this on a site called burntmyfingers.com:

In retail, there’s Amazon. In Asian condiments, there’s Lee Kum Kee. This maker of good-but-not-great sauces and relishes has been gobbling up shelf space in Oriental markets to the detriment of smaller brands, notably Lan Chi.

Lan Chi used to have a dozen facings at my nearest local source, Asian Supermarket in Albany. Today they’re gone. The greatest loss is Lan Chi Chili Paste with Garlic, a complex and multifaceted product (in addition to potent amount of roasted chili and funky garlic, it also contains fermented black beans) that’s the perfect foil to a Chinese lunch or a dim sum platter. I’m not alone in this preference; ask any knowledgeable chef which Chinese chili sauce they prefer and they’ll say Lan Chi.

When my backup supply finally ran out, I assumed I’d be able to pick up a jar on a trip to San Francisco Chinatown. But no luck in half a dozen establishments. I began to wonder what had happened and of course consulted Facebook, where Lan Chi Foods had last posted in 2012: “Life is good…sleeping in the hammock enjoying #slumvillage, #macallen18 and a full moon!” A couple of people responded to the post by asking where the Chili Garlic Paste had gone, but there were no replies. One guesses the business has passed to a new generation where preserving the brand is not the highest priority.

I did find a few online sources, fortunately, and placed a successful order at Kim’s Asian Market. The shipping was a flat $6.99 so I was able to bring the per-jar cost down by ordering multiples. (If you’re in a hurry, this source will sell it to you via Amazon Prime, but you’ll pay.) I advise you to do the same. A jar lasts me about 3 years, so divide your life expectancy by that number and purchase accordingly before this manna goes away for good.

Kim's Asian Market's website is temporarily closed for renovation. Paul, is there any in your neck of the woods?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Emergency! Emergency! Lan Chi's missing!

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:21 am

Not a pantry staple in my house but I took a quick look around the internet. The last shipping invoices I found for Lan Chi anything are dated 2018. May be truly gone or, perhaps, available only in Taiwan.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:26 am

Interesting. I used to buy that brand but then it stopped being available at my NC sources a few years ago, and I never knew why. I thought it was an issue with local store. But, the Mala Market products were so good, that I didn't mind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:03 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Not a pantry staple in my house but I took a quick look around the internet. The last shipping invoices I found for Lan Chi anything are dated 2018. May be truly gone or, perhaps, available only in Taiwan.

You can find shipping invoices???? :shock:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:04 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. I used to buy that brand but then it stopped being available at my NC sources a few years ago, and I never knew why. I thought it was an issue with local store. But, the Mala Market products were so good, that I didn't mind.

There's a Mala product that's kind of similar? Also called "chile and garlic paste"?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:46 pm

Well, that's terrible news. I'll have to see if Saigon Market in Manchester NH has any.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:00 pm

Jenise wrote:There's a Mala product that's kind of similar? Also called "chile and garlic paste"?

Maybe not exactly the same. And my favorite Lan Chi was actually the black bean chili pastes. Mala Market has great bean pastes and chili oils, so I was content.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:33 pm

I should buy more from Mala Market. And I've never had the chance to try Lan Chi's other products as I've never been able to find them at retail. I got my first two from the source below, and later on Paul sent me a few.

BUT, for now, emergency over! Lan Chi is still available in Hawaii, and two jars are on their way to me as I speak from a friend in L.A.--the friend who introduced me to Lan Chi in the first place--as she has six bottles in reserve and will be back in Hawaii next month.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:55 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Not a pantry staple in my house but I took a quick look around the internet. The last shipping invoices I found for Lan Chi anything are dated 2018. May be truly gone or, perhaps, available only in Taiwan.

https://panjiva.com/Suzhou-Lan-Chi-Food-Co-Ltd/27791455
https://www.importgenius.com/suppliers/ ... ood-co-ltd
https://www.tradesparq.com/Customs/9238 ... ood-Co-Ltd

I trust this is the right Lan Chi, from Shanghai. (Don't know why I thought they were Taiwanese.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Emergency! Emergency! Lan Chi's gone missing!

by Paul Winalski » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:32 pm

I visited the Mala Market yesterday and didn't see anything equivalent to the Lan Chi products. Mala Market has Pixian doubanjiang (chile and fermented fava beans) and tian mian jiang (sweet wheat paste), but nothing like the Lan Chi chile paste with garlic (green label) or black bean sauce with chile (blue label). Fortunately I still have some of each.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:19 pm

I was in Golden Village in Scarsdale (old school Chinese supermarket) to get fresh rice noodles today, checked the shelves where I used to find Lan Chi, a wall of Lee Kum Kee. Some other things nearby, I didn'tsee Lan Chi, but no one speaks English to ask. They don't have at HMart (Korean, but ldecent Chinese section)either. The other local Asian markets are both Japanese.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:29 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jenise wrote:

https://panjiva.com/Suzhou-Lan-Chi-Food-Co-Ltd/27791455
https://www.importgenius.com/suppliers/ ... ood-co-ltd
https://www.tradesparq.com/Customs/9238 ... ood-Co-Ltd

I trust this is the right Lan Chi, from Shanghai. (Don't know why I thought they were Taiwanese.)

That's impressive. And definitely the right Lan Chi--they're in Suzhou.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:32 pm

Dale, quite oddly we never could get it here on the West Coast. Y'all had it on the East Coast, and we could get it in Hawaii (specifically, Honolulu) and that was it. Sounds like the east coast is now in the same boat as the West.