Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ramen Noodles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ramen Noodles

by Jenise » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:16 pm

Confession: I love ramen. Even the cheap stuff (with a preference for Top Ramen over other brands). It's a super convenient instant food with zero health benefit except to stave off hunger which could lead to eating something more dangerous. And I often incorporate the noodles, sans seasoning packet, into other things.

But recently I found something even better. This is a Japanese (or possibly Korean) ramen-like product, and the noodles are incredible. Texture-wise they put everything else I've ever had in the shade, no other's even close. The noodles are more substantive: chewy and springy, and they don't overcook in three seconds. Also, the noodle content is larger than the cheap versions so even if you bought them just for the noodles, at about 75 cents a packet from Amazon they're good value.

They're this:

https://www.amazon.com/NongShim-Ramyun- ... B90S&psc=1

Beware, "spicy" is hell-on-wheels spicy. Made as intended, Bob can't eat them at all. I can, but it's more than I consider tenable in most circumstances. However, for the noodles alone, forget the seasoning packet--one can sub something else--they're killer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Ramen Noodles

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:27 pm

Jenise wrote:Confession: I love ramen. Even the cheap stuff (with a preference for Top Ramen over other brands). It's a super convenient instant food with zero health benefit except to stave off hunger which could lead to eating something more dangerous. And I often incorporate the noodles, sans seasoning packet, into other things.

Pumpkin endorses this position 100%.

I like them but there are other good chewy noodles around, too. I recall making a 'ramen burger' once, back when those were chic -- good enough and good novelty value but not good enough to do regularly.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:10 pm

We pretty much always have. The only ones we ever use the spice packets are the spicy Korean ones (though not same brand as yours). Throw in leftover cooked greens and top with an egg and there's lunch, Probably not more than once a month, but useful.
Maybe we'll try yours,.
When just using noodles in something else we like the Nissin brand- they make Top Ramen, but these are a different line, get them in Asian markets (Nissin & Tonkatsu are only words in English on front).
Never been gutsy enough to try the Roy Choi version with slice of American cheese,
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Cold days when I need a fast lunch it’s instant ramen to which I add a dash of sesame oil and some chili garlic paste.

But I treasure good, real ramen.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:16 am

Jenise wrote:Confession: I love ramen.

No need for confession! It's like pizza in the west, something 'pedestrian' that is glorious and can inspire obsession. And, thankfully still affordable for everyone. Real-deal ramen is of course a treasure, and amazing to see how much it's spread around Europe and North America in recent years.

I haven't eaten instant ramen in a looooong time. But when I first moved to Japan, I was blown away by all the different flavor options for instant ramen. Plus, my job had a preliminary trial period where we didn't get our full salary, and I needed to save money. I think I ate instant ramen for most lunches and dinners for quite some time. Not the healthiest, but there were so many flavors I didn't get bored, and, I was young.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:23 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Never been gutsy enough to try the Roy Choi version with slice of American cheese,

I'm unaware of this variation, but it makes perfect sense that it's a Roy Choi idea.

David, same here. Sesame oil, chiles or chile paste (my shipment of Lan Chi came yesterday!!!!) and green onions. Also bok choy or other greens if I have them on hand, like Dale.

Sounds like we're all the same page.

Has anyone considered ordering fresh ramen noodles? sunnoodle.com ships kits one day a week. They're the go-to purveyor for many of the country's best ramen houses, including NYC's Ivan. From an article that I tore out of a magazine a few months back, "They make more than 190 different kinds of noodles they send to restaurants in all 50 states--straight or wavy, thin or thick, with custom tweaks on pH and different blends of 13 flour varieties. The company also opened Ramen Lab in NYC a few years ago bringing in rotating monthly chefs with the goal of showing Americans the vast diversity in the art of regional craft ramen."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:05 pm

You have hit my weak spot! I always have noodles on hand for a quick meal. I don't always use the flavor packets, or sometimes I'll use half of it and create the seasonings I want by adding my own ingredients. I like a product called Unif. They have one with pickled greens, and another with chilis that I like. I also love the product sold at Costco (thought I'd never say that), Bibigo potstickers. had them at my sister's last year. Have tried others but this brand seems to have the most tender and generously filled wonton noodle. I'll look for your endorsed product, Jenise. Thanks for sharing.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:08 pm

You, too!!! I'm impressed by how many of us are fans.

I haven't tried any Bibigo products that I know of but will admit to having been made curious by ads appearing during a golf tournament sponsored by the brand. It occurred to me they might have been the producer of some pork and kimchi potstickers I bought in an Asian market during our van travels once upon a time. Would probably need to go to H Mart in Lynnwood to find them again.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pm

I found a couple versions of this noodle packet at Uwajimaya. You are right, Jenise, this variety has a noodle with a fabulous chew. I have to admit though, I am not particularly fond of ramen house dishes. I find the flavors a little dull to my palate. I much prefer the flavors of SE Asian cuisine with the brightness of citrus and herbs and the expert play on salty/sweet. But, as a change of pace for my noodle addiction 4-5 times a week, this is a very good alternative. Thanks for sharing.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:45 pm

I have been to very few ramen restaurants. Have had decent experiences in Vancouver and Bellingham, and a terrible one down in the University district wherein the broth was cloudy from the addition of bacon fat (did not expect this when I ordered it, was only told it after I complained). Godawful. Pho is generally more exciting to me--but this could have more to do with better local options for pho than ramen. Certainly of the few I've had none have lived up to what I expected from food travel shows about Japan. And almost nothing I've had in America compares to the fresh noodle bar that was part of breakfast at a hotel we stayed at in Xian, China. I should try again for ramen in Seattle. In the meantime I have my trusty little blue packets.

Glad you liked those noodles. And, I need a trip to Uwajimaya. We're way overdue.