Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mexican dinner for 16

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Mexican dinner for 16

by Jenise » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:05 pm

So I have invited 7 couples to dinner a week from tonight. Essentially, I've invited my pod of six couples to say goodbye to a couple who was never part of it but who, with the others, were the core of the Wine Society I used to put on monthly tastings for. 'Core' as in the people I could always count on to help, and without whom I couldn't/wouldn't have done what I did. The 7th couple is moving to eastern Washington, and they have requested red wine and Mexican food.

It is not a requirement to bring food, but several will want to contribute and having a large buffet will add a festive feel to the evening. There will be rice and beans of course, which I'll make if no one offers those. I'll do a cabbage, pepito, cilantro, red onion slaw because something has to be fresh and healthy, goshdarnit. Might add a scallop and tomato ceviche. Or to nachos, too. One couple has already volunteered cilantro shrimp.

I'm considering:

Mexican meatballs (heavy cumin and garlic)
Pastel Azteca (chicken enchilada pie, all white and green)
Smoked pork and tomatillo enchilada pie*
Yucatan roast pork tacos (oranges, banana leaf wrap)
Braised beef in mole (chiles, chocolate)
A wet beef stew of beef, potatoes and tomatillos (might be too juicy)**

*Appeals to me because I'm going to make this up based on a dish I loved in Hawaii. No one will be able to say, "Had that last week."

**Ingredients would be excellent layered into an enchilada pie, too

I'll need to do two main courses. Everything has to be fork- or hand-friendly because people will be eating out of their laps so they can't be slicing with a knife.

Thoughts? Ideas?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Mexican dinner for 16

by Jenise » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:01 pm

Had another idea. Just do whole pork loin roasts marinated in an adobo (red chiles+orange juice based) then charcoal grilled to finish. Would be delicious, but might not register as Mexican. Could become more Mexican if I used a pork shoulder which would break down into hunks one could capture in a soft corn tortilla and eat out of hand. Hmmmm....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:31 pm

A recent WaPo recipe caught my eye Chile Relleno Casserole. I've not made it and would not strictly follow the recipe which strikes me as under flavored and one dimensional but I think it might be an interesting starting point to riff on. https://img.washingtonpost.com/recipes/ ... ole/18111/
I watch the cooking shows on Create TV when I'm in Pittsburgh because they provide great distraction for my mother who was a wonderful cook and still has a good appetite. I really like Pati Jinich and her Mexican Table Favorites online would also be a source to peruse. I like her ideas and style in cooking and teaching.
I also like Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen recipes- Chile Seasoned Pot Roasted Pork and Chile Glazed Country Ribs
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:28 am

Everyone always loved shredded or chunked pork, with your cabbage slaw would be great. Served in a bolillo roll is Mexico's version of a crusty french bread. Easy, and always goes over well. Rest of your suggestions sound delish, as well.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:50 pm

What? No smut? :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:56 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:A recent WaPo recipe caught my eye Chile Relleno Casserole. I've not made it and would not strictly follow the recipe which strikes me as under flavored and one dimensional but I think it might be an interesting starting point to riff on. https://img.washingtonpost.com/recipes/ ... ole/18111/
I watch the cooking shows on Create TV when I'm in Pittsburgh because they provide great distraction for my mother who was a wonderful cook and still has a good appetite. I really like Pati Jinich and her Mexican Table Favorites online would also be a source to peruse. I like her ideas and style in cooking and teaching.
I also like Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen recipes- Chile Seasoned Pot Roasted Pork and Chile Glazed Country Ribs

I'm a Rick fan--the adobo I mentioned above is one of his recipes. A chili relleno casserole would indeed be a good thing, though I can't read that recipe (no WaPo access). I tried to google my way in through a side door and that didn't work. I did gaze upon a recipe for such a dish featuring evaporated milk and tomato sauce and canned chiles--how boring would that be! Oh, and I loved this, you know when you google something and Google offers you a list of things "People Also Ask..."? Well, apparently people also ask what is the difference between a Chile Relleno and a Chile Poblano. Made me laugh!!! I love chile rellenos and could wing that one. Might want to give it a chorizo filling, though. Would certainly put something that would reference restaurant-Mexican which would be closer to people's expectations, I'm guessing.

I haven't seen Pati's shows, I'll take a look. But I do cook Mexican all the time; like most Southern Californians it's as near and dear to me as Mom's home cooking. Probably for that reason I've never own books about it, but for the Rick Bayless book I only bought about three years ago just to fill out my background from the way I lean Sonoran because that's the primary influence in So Cal. I also bought a book after seeing it at a friend's by one Robert or Roberto Sandoval, which I can't find to save my life. He's a NYC chef and his style is very creative and elevated. It's from him I got the idea for the guacamole with blue cheese and smoked almonds, just for instance.

And I've just remembered that indeed I did the smoked pork enchilada pie a few months ago, and a few of these people would have been there so I can't do it again. At the same time, it's also true that there was so much food at that event (big pot luck, about 40 in attendance) probably no one remembers it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:58 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:What? No smut? :lol:

I dreamed about you last night. Well, you and your good pal Anthony Bourdain. You and Pumpkin had just adopted a baby boy named Ryder and we were oohing and ahing over him.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:00 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Everyone always loved shredded or chunked pork, with your cabbage slaw would be great. Served in a bolillo roll is Mexico's version of a crusty french bread. Easy, and always goes over well. Rest of your suggestions sound delish, as well.

I love bolillo rolls but that would be more filling. If you ate one of those it would be about all you eat. I'm anticipating that some of the other guests will bring food so I'll need to serve main item(s) that can be taken in smallish portions. Kind of why I liked the idea of the albondigas. One would be an accent, not a meal.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:45 pm

Just read the WaPo recipe in detail. It is not at all inspired and after closer inspection I would not recommend it. BUT it did make me look more closely at Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen and under the Variation and Improvisations section for his Smoky Shredded Pork Tacos he describes its use in a Chiles Rellenos for a Buffet. Pati Jinich's carnitas recipe would make a great rellenos stuffing as well as Rick's picadillo.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:21 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:What? No smut? :lol:

I dreamed about you last night. Well, you and your good pal Anthony Bourdain. You and Pumpkin had just adopted a baby boy named Ryder and we were oohing and ahing over him.

Pumpkin Ryder: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/young-kid-sitting-pumpkin-autumn-leaves-34831556.jpg

Tony was the godfather?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:32 pm

Jeff, I think the connection was CNN. This dream came out of a series of thoughts I had after seeing that Anderson Cooper has a new baby.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:38 pm

Christina, when I lived in Alaska and had endless access to reasonably priced king crab, I used to do a cold chile relleno that was crab and chevre cheese stuffed with a spicy tomato salsa dressing. Incredible stuff. I had kind of forgotten about that.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:41 pm

The seafood relleno sounds fantastic and I'll be looking for fresh poblanos. Costo Argentinian shrimp are sweet and I just got 2 #.
Great idea
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:23 pm

So my current thinking: honey-chipotle carnitas, warmed tortillas, and the cabbage slaw I mentioned. Eat separately or combine for a taco. Also, a chile relleno pie. Rice etc depends on what guests are bringing. Am also considering another cultural amalgamation--you know the Chinese dish of spare ribs braised in black bean sauce? Okay, so what about bite sized ribs simmered in a green chile/cumin sauce? Would put the flavors of chile verde on the table in a whole new way, and it's something I can do ahead and won't need an oven to reheat.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm

A very ambitious menu and I would be all in for a do ahead that likely will improve in the waiting. Sounds wonderful. Still mulling the rellenos dish for my future.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:44 pm

Can't do them all, and was waiting to hear what others would bring. I have volunteers for (their choices, not mine) jalapeno poppers, corn and black bean salad, guac and chips, and an unnamed dessert. Also shrimp and cilantro. I narrowly escaped a 7-layer dip (tastes good but looks like hell after the first three people dig in, and I can't bear that.)

So I'm doing: 1) carnitas, which will cook a large shoulder roast Ssam style (Momofuku), cured in salt and sugar for 24 hours in advance of a 6 hour roasting, with a chipotle-honey baste (Bayless). The cabbage/peanut salad and pickled red onions will be the other fillings for tacos. Warm tortillas and lettuce leaves will be provided as wraps. 2) chorizo chile relleno enchilada pie. 3) albondigas or the riblets mentioned--similar seasoning, heavy on cumin, garlic and oregano. Kind of liking the riblets because they'll be as good or better if done ahead, where the meatballs might not be lucky. Not sure. Either way, oven space is an issue, so all these make sense.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:46 pm

Oops, I'm also doing a raw vegetable escabeche.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:00 pm

Went shopping today. The shoulder I need for the carnitas? Whole shoulder was on sale today for a ridiculous price. A nine pounder for $13. Woo hoo!