Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Iranian Stewed Celery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Iranian Stewed Celery

by Jenise » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:59 pm

I'm making this tonight to go with rack of lamb. I expect to be wowed by it as I generally am in love with anything Nancy Silverton makes (this is her recipe), but I also had to post it for the sheer novelty of being the first person in the history of FLDG to share a recipe that "serves 7".

Stewed Celery With Herbs and Persian Lime Recipe
Serves 7

Ingredients:
2 bunches celery stalks, rinsed and leaves reserved
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
Black pepper, freshly ground
1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 cup water, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons ground Persian lime
1 bunch fresh mint leaves
1 bunch fresh Italian parsley

Instructions:
Step 1: Peel the celery stalks and cut them on a bias, about ¼-inch thick; set aside.

Step 2: Heat a large sauté pan or cast-iron enamel pot over medium heat and coat with the olive oil.

Step 3: When the oil is hot, add the onion, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf.

Step 4: Cook and stir until the onions are lightly caramelized and golden, but not too dark, about 10 minutes.

Step 5: Stir in the turmeric until it’s incorporated into the ovens and the color is evenly distributed.

Step 6: Add the celery and sauté until well-coated in the onions, about 1 minute.

Step 7: Pour in the water and reduce the heat to low.

Step 8: Stir in the Persian lime and season again with salt.

Step 9: Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes, until the celery is translucent but still crisp.

Step 10: Stir in the mint, parsley, and additional water, depending on how much water the celery has absorbed — you may need to add more water a little at a time. If you add too much the celery will become too mushy, but if you don’t add enough it will burn. It should be crunchy, salty, and acidic when you taste it; the entire cooking process takes about 35 minutes.

Step 11: Serve the celery in the pan or transfer to a decorative plate.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Iranian Stewed Celery

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:19 pm

I've seen all kinds of recipe for celery knob but not for the stalks by themselves.

And my table won't sit 7 comfortably, only 6. So, they just have to be extra-hungry for celery. :?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:37 pm

A bunch here and a bunch there. What could go wrong? I assume that if she didn't have a foot note about bunches she did have a discussion about dried limes which I presume is what is meant by ground limes.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:14 pm

I didn't end up following the recipe exactly. I just cut up what looked like the right amount of celery--approximately 2x what I hoped to have when it wilted, and honestly I could have/should have gone with 4x (but didn't have enough celery for). Celery reduces in volumn hugely, which I knew, but also we loved this so much we would have been pleased to have larger portions of it. I sauteed the celery with a sliced shallot for 4-7 minutes while browning the rack of lamb--and then added dried mint, salt and maybe half a cup of water to start the cook-down while the lamb was in the oven (20 minutes). Perfect timing, and i liked the flavor so much I skipped the turmeric etc. As great a vegetable dish for rack of lamb as I've ever had.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:17 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:A bunch here and a bunch there. What could go wrong? I assume that if she didn't have a foot note about bunches she did have a discussion about dried limes which I presume is what is meant by ground limes.

My understanding is that this was a transcription by someone else of an on-camera demonstration done for a tutorial subscription service called Yes, Chef. Hence generalities and no footnotes.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:30 pm

So does this use dried Persian limes, or the ground-up flesh of fresh limes?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:17 pm

Like Christina, I presume dried. I doubt one would specify variety if calling for Fresh--you can't buy them that way.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:32 pm

My local supermarket sells three types of fresh lime. The first is sold individually the Persian lime, which has a thick skin and resembles a green lemon. The second kind is smaller and rounder, thin skinned, comes from Mexico, and is sold in bags. The third kind is the key lime--thin skinned and much smaller than the other two.

I've never seen dried limes for sale.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:18 pm

Although I occasionally see bags of key limes, limes here are just going to be limes, like small lemons. Type/variety unspecified which is what I meant by people trying to buy fresh by type. I would assume that 'Persian' meant dried. Definitely none ever as good as the limes a friend sends me from her tree in California.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:24 pm

"Persian" is the most common variety of lime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(fruit)#Plants_known_as_%22lime%22

I would hope that if someone wants dried lime then they would write "dried lime" in the recipe. :shock:
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:52 pm

It does sound like a recipe I would jot down when watching a TV cooking show when I knew I didn't have access to the specifics. I would have an idea of how things looked and wouldn't write details that I knew or would remember and felt confident that I could wing it.
There are a number of cooked celery recipes in Italian cuisine, perhaps most recognized in a celery risotto.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:"Persian" is the most common variety of lime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(fruit)#Plants_known_as_%22lime%22

I would hope that if someone wants dried lime then they would write "dried lime" in the recipe. :shock:

You didn't think the fact that "ground" is called for indicated the dried version? It came across that way to me.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:05 pm

When I read the recipe, it wasn't clear to me if 'ground' meant ground-up dried lime, or fresh lime mashed up to break the individual vesicles, as opposed to fresh lime segments or slices.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:50 pm

Ground lime: https://www.amazon.com/Ground-Persian-L ... B01LXG36RV

Unavailable at Amazon.com but I can get them here https://www.amazon.ca/USimplySeason-Per ... 147&sr=8-1

on a grind your own basis. Let me know if you want me to order a package for you - you could PU at the next lunch.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:"Persian" is the most common variety of lime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(fruit)#Plants_known_as_%22lime%22

You didn't think the fact that "ground" is called for indicated the dried version? It came across that way to me.

Knowing it was Iranian in origins perhaps, persuaded me that they meant dried. No matter, I just grated a little fresh lime rind into my dish and added squeeze.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:56 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Ground lime: https://www.amazon.com/Ground-Persian-L ... B01LXG36RV

Unavailable at Amazon.com but I can get them here https://www.amazon.ca/USimplySeason-Per ... 147&sr=8-1

on a grind your own basis. Let me know if you want me to order a package for you - you could PU at the next lunch.

Probably a dozen opps to buy that kind of thing on Lonsdale Blvd, huh. Might be here in Bellingham at our one mediterranean store whose owners are Lebanese. I don't do whole at the moment as I tossed out my spice grinder and haven't replaced it. It was a Cuisinart--useless thing, didn't grind beyond coarse, and very coarse at that. Not half as good as the little Krups grinder it replaced.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:11 pm

Yes, should be available on Lonsdale. If we go that way and see some do you want me to pick you up a bit?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 am

Thanks for looking that up. Curious stuff. I live in a Middle Eastern neighborhood and have never heard of it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Yes, should be available on Lonsdale. If we go that way and see some do you want me to pick you up a bit?

Sure, if you get there. If it's not convenient don't worry. We're staying over next trip up in order to do some shopping. Could be fun to include Lonsdale and get a middle eastern lunch while there. It's interesting how a mere 50 mile distance can feel like a trip to a foreign land.