Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cassoulet!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cassoulet!!!

by Jenise » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:28 am

A friend served cassoulet for lunch a few weeks ago. Beans were overcooked but the flavors were great, and it left me hungry to make my own. I have six confit duck legs in the freezer (from D'Artagnan) and I invited some friends over tonight for the dish.

My friend's version was essentially a bean and sausage stew accompanied by a broiled duck confit leg. I like that approach, but I'm leaning toward the classic, more a four-hour process than a 1.5 hour process. I want that crust! But though I've made this dish several times over the years, it's not something I get around to with any regularity so I have no standby recipe. There's no "When I make Cassoulet, I...." I believe I prefer anything that says it's in the style of Toulouse but I can't back that up.

So yesterday I pored thru recipes on the internet. I laughed at recipes that supposedly serve 8 but called for only 4 duck legs. For me that's the prize protein in the pot, so decision one was to not add other parts of pork. I won't augment with anything but sausage. What kind of sausage then? Yesterday at the store I found fresh (not pre-cooked) 'Heavy Garlic Chicken Sausage' from Uli's, a Seattle sausage company, at the market, a version from them I've not seen before. But Heavy Garlic is definitely Toulouse flavor, so I bought those. I had thought about adding something smoked, but now that I have the Heavy Garlic sausage I'm thinking about staying on the more delicate, herby side. I have a single unlabeled sausage in the freezer, a pre-cooked one, probably 1/2 pound in size, pale in color so not smoked, and that will go in too, probably sliced for broad distribution. I have no clue what it was but I liked it enough to save it, so there.

I also have a big chunk of pork belly which I pressure-cooked last week. I'll pan fry slices of it to garnish each serving. That will be it for anything not-poultry.

Which beans to use was the real conundrum. Last time I used the classic Tarbais beans but honestly didn't love the big size or texture. Recipes recommend those, flageolets, and both Great Northern and the smaller Navy. In the long, long ago past I recall making my first Cassoulet. I recollect getting advice from others on the earliest iteration of this forum or another Robin and I were both part of, wherein the majority definitely favored one over the other. I don't recall which it was, only that when I went shopping for that bean I strangely couldn't find it anywhere and had to settle for the other. Which would have been best? Dunno, after all these years doubt lingers.

Yesterday Great Northern and Navy were both possible. So it's time for a contest: I bought and will use both in my dish today. By this time tomorrow I'll be able to tell you which I liked best. I also bought a can of butter beans which I'll pre-season separately with white vermouth and stir in toward the end for yet another textural variation with it's own pop of flavor.

Wish me luck.

And that will be the dish. Little tartines topped with 1) duck liver/truffle pate and pickled onions, and 2) ricotta/lemon base and artichoke tapenade on top, will be the starters. A green salad will be served after the cassoulet. I'll open a bottle of a Southern French stickie for dessert.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Cassoulet!!!

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:21 pm

Jenise wrote: I laughed at recipes that supposedly serve 8 but called for only 4 duck legs. For me that's the prize protein in the pot, so decision one was to not add other parts of pork.

It is the prize protein but if the goal is to eat just confit then you're going through an awful lot of extra fuss. A good cassoulet is a harmonious stew with several kinds of meat and a broth that is fatty, roasty, juicy (meaning acidity) and possibly slightly walnutty.

It isn't exactly Stone Soup nor Frenchified franks 'n' beans but it isn't too far off from those, either.

Which beans to use was the real conundrum. ... Yesterday Great Northern and Navy were both possible. So it's time for a contest: I bought and will use both in my dish today.

Another good choice is cannelini. I'll prefer Great Northern to the others, if plausible, but I'm no longer very twitchy about it.

Wish me luck.

Bonne chance, mon ami.

What wine to go with?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:25 pm

Be sure to let us know how the cassoulet turns out.

On a tasting trip to Burgundy we did some shopping at the hypermarche in Beaune. I was amused to see a sign saying "Cheval" in the meat section. There was also an unusual (to me) item in the pet food aisle--cassoulet for dogs. The idea of feeding beans to a dog caused us all to cringe. :shock:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:00 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jenise wrote: I laughed at recipes that supposedly serve 8 but called for only 4 duck legs. For me that's the prize protein in the pot, so decision one was to not add other parts of pork.

It is the prize protein but if the goal is to eat just confit then you're going through an awful lot of extra fuss. A good cassoulet is a harmonious stew with several kinds of meat and a broth that is fatty, roasty, juicy (meaning acidity) and possibly slightly walnutty.

It isn't exactly Stone Soup nor Frenchified franks 'n' beans but it isn't too far off from those, either.

Which beans to use was the real conundrum. ... Yesterday Great Northern and Navy were both possible. So it's time for a contest: I bought and will use both in my dish today.

Another good choice is cannelini. I'll prefer Great Northern to the others, if plausible, but I'm no longer very twitchy about it.

Wish me luck.

Bonne chance, mon ami.

What wine to go with?

Well, there WILL be plenty of sausage. And the first stage of cooking the beans has bacon and some chunks of serrano ham cut off the leg (I happen to have a whole leg on hand right now, which I forgot to mention). The flavor will be very complex, and I have the extra duck fat to enrich the final bake. Don't worry--I don't make bland food.

Wines will be older Chateauneufs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:52 pm

Sounds wonderful with lots of layers. I haven't made Cassoulet in 25 years but when I did I used the D'Artagnan recipe as a template and some of their ingredients and beans. It was a HUGE amount. I made the mistake of not inquiring food preferences before the event. The guests had lived in Brazil for many years and Feijoada was their idea of a bean stew and they did not like poultry let alone duck. This might get me interested in making it again next fall.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:34 pm

Christina, last one I made was a D'Artagnan too. I was a lot less happy with that result where, for my tastes, the recipe I used yesterday was perfect. Mind you, my cassoulet wasn't perfect, but that's the cook's fault: anyone who fairly exactly follows Ariane Daguin's process (recipe's on the Food Network site) will get a fantastic result.

Where I went wrong: the pre-cook on the beans went well. At exactly one hour I separated the beans from the broth, tossed the aromatics, and spread the beans on a cookie sheet for fastest cooling while cooking the broth down to get the five cups needed for the finishing step. At this point I was about 3 hours away from needing to start the final cook. Once the beans were cool I browned the sausages and began the build in the final cooking vessel (no, not one of those bowls, don't want one). A little while later I came along and decided the broth was cool enough to pour over the beans ( :oops: ) even though I wasn't going to put it in the oven for two more hours. About five minutes later I thought better of that decision and thought about pouring it back off but that would have been a huge project and it would have disturbed my layering so I let it stand.

Big mistake. For best bean integrity they needed NOT to absorb that broth prior to the final cook, but as I realized they might they did and on top of that I cooked the casserole longer than I should have so the beans were greatly overcooked.

What I did like: the flavors were perfect. The Heavy Garlic chicken sausage from Uli's was my favorite bite. Loved the two-bean combo, and the firmer, smaller navy beans survived the overcooking better than the Great Northern. In future I would do the bean mix again, or, if I had to choose one? Navy beans. I did not add the butter beans as originally planned.

What I'd do different, besides not pour the broth back on the beans: not include the duck in the bean pot. I'd broil them to get that luscious crispy skin and serve them on top of the bean/sausage mix.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:47 pm

Yes. I always wondered about the recipes that add a crispy skinned poultry cut to the braise causing it to be very flabby. What I try to do is oven braise, skin side up in some of the other cooking broth that comes up to no more than 1/2 of the leg or breast. This imparts the flavor of the broth but leaves the skin golden and crispy. Then topping the final presentation makes it perfect.
Mamma Mia !