Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

When to plant ramp seeds?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

When to plant ramp seeds?

by Jenise » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:42 pm

About now?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: When to plant ramp seeds?

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:45 pm

Last fall. As I understand it, the seeds need to over-winter before they grow. Can you get some ramps at a farmers market? Are they grown in your neck of the woods?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:03 pm

I only know ramps in the wild. The blossom is on the end of a very fine stalk and the seeds seem nearly microscopic. They self seed in the fall and are very finicky about soil and humidity. It takes years for harvestable bulb production, thus the real concern about over harvesting. If I am in Wisconsin during the season I am careful to harvest from large bunches with thick stalks leaving the less mature plants for future growth and propagation.
A friend who successfully transplanted a few into a sheltered spot in her yard similar to the natural habitat has seen seed stalks but has no new plants in 8 years.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:49 am

Nope, no ramps here. Well, once at a Whole Foods Market in Seattle but god knows where they were grown.

I ask because I have a seed packet given me a few years ago. Your description of "microscopic" made me laugh--the packet feels like it has almost nothing in it. And it's from a foreign country in a language so odd looking I can't even guess what it is let alone what it says, so no help there! If they grow in Wisconsin, Christina, I'd think they'd grow here, our climates are similar. But wow from your descriptions, they sound very tricky (and I struggle with things that are easy, so my odds aren't good.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:18 pm

Jenise wrote:And it's from a foreign country in a language so odd looking I can't even guess what it is let alone what it says, so no help there!

Jenise, if you have the Google Translate app on your phone (or are willing to put it on) you can solve that. Open the app, choose "detect language," then tap "camera," and take a picture of the text. Google is surprisingly good at working with that. I've used it successfully on Chinese restaurant menus and such. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:28 pm

Robin, thanks, I'll try that!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:49 pm

I didn't know you could harvest ramps anywhere but in the wild. There are seeds? :?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:00 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I didn't know you could harvest ramps anywhere but in the wild. There are seeds? :?

Yup. Easily identifiable from the pic on the seed packet which came from I don't know what country yet. I believe my brother sent them to me.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:07 pm

Ithink planting in the Fall after the summer heat is over is required.

This sums it up https://www.thespruce.com/growing-ramps ... 0and%207.2.

A lot of fuss but as you have the seeds, why not try. I think you have a shaded spot over by the fence away from the house don't you?

Can't recall if marihuana is now legal in WA but suggest that you try not to look furtive when planting to avoid possible later illicit mistaken harvesting by neighbours.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:47 pm

I would agree with Bill, why not since you have the seeds but unless you have an area with LOTS of leaf litter don't be disappointed.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:21 pm

Psst - I have LOTS of leaf litter if you need some - been dumping barrels full. Might have issues at the border though ("It's what? Weeds? Dirt...??")
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:56 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I would agree with Bill, why not since you have the seeds but unless you have an area with LOTS of leaf litter don't be disappointed.

Unfortunately because of the long January freeze, I now have lots of leaf litter from bamboo and bay leaf. Tragic consequences on both!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:25 pm

Woof. I thought bamboo was pretty cold-hardy.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:09 pm

Sorry to hear about the bamboo and bay leaf. Which sort of bay laurel was it? European or American?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:42 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Woof. I thought bamboo was pretty cold-hardy.

I'm shocked at what happened. It's ugly. In December I had my gardener attempt to fix up the bamboo and he kind of shaved the front area off with a chain saw. I wonder if the timing of that with super cold weather following pretty closely is the problem.

Paul, I think it's American.