Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nut Oils

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Nut Oils

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:35 am

Jenise, did you get your order of the nut oils? I could smell the toasted sesame oil right out of the box. I have gone through a slew of sesame oils and this one is great. A little goes a long way. I also got roasted peanut oil. I have been using a peanut oil from the store and wondered why they called it peanut oil because it certainly does not smell like a peanut. Wow, this one certainly does and it tastes just like a peanut. They also sent three small packages of other nut oils to try. I liked that. La Tourangelle also states on the bottom of the tin can how to use the product. For the nut oil it says, sauté - bake-dip- drizzle. Peanuts are also grown in the USA!
My order came within three days.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Nut Oils

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm

In my experience, nearly all peanut oil sold in the US is ultra-refined and has little if any peanut aroma or flavor. This is fine if you want a neutral oil for frying and peanut oil is my go-to for pan-, stir-, and deep-frying. But for making Sichuan hot oil I prefer more peanut flavor and I've found some brands at Asian groceries that have more peanut flavor. I'll have to check out the oil you suggested.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:08 pm

If you're not boycotting Jeff Bezos, Whole Foods 365 Brand Roasted Peanut Oil is golden brown and peanutty. I like it for Asian flavors.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:If you're not boycotting Jeff Bezos, Whole Foods 365 Brand Roasted Peanut Oil is golden brown and peanutty. I like it for Asian flavors.

I was going to recommend this, too. Excellent product. Very nutty, I use it more as a condiment. Also as the oil piece in a vinegar-based cabbage slaw which I make frequently.

And to Karen: no re my order. I killed the order because I was afraid it would arrive while I was travelling so I have to go re-instate it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov