Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What can't you match with roast chicken?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

What can't you match with roast chicken?

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:11 am

I was kind of amused by this older (Pascaline was still at Rouge Tomate) article. Pretty clear consensus- sherry, white Burgundy/Chardonnay, Pinot Noir,Gruner Veltliner, Counoise, Jura , Barolo, Savennieres, Syrah, Cotes du Rhone, Beaujolais. :D

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-wine-f ... ne-pairing

I usually do red or white Burg, or Beaujolais. But it is super wine friendly, also can be a great backdrop to a fully mature claret. I did decide wine last night based on this article- one somm mentioned Roulot Meursault (out of my range now), so I opened a Roulot Bourgogne blanc.
So anything that wouldn't match? I certainly wouldn't leap for a big Cal Cab or PS, or the Australian equivalent, or big modern Bordeaux.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What can't you match with roast chicken?

by Jenise » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:38 pm

I'm with Morgan Harris: "For roast chicken, I want something middle weight, moderate in alcohol, with a fair amount of acid, very little oak...Depending on how the chicken is sauced...Where it comes from is sort of neither here nor there...."

There's no one right way or color. What I end up choosing will depend on the treatment--roast chicken can lean in so many directions--the weather, and lastly my mood.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov