Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: An exceptional Tomato-Boursin Pasta (vegetarian)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: An exceptional Tomato-Boursin Pasta (vegetarian)

by Jenise » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:21 pm

So I saw this done on Instagram last week. No measurements were given, it was merely described as the cook assembled it: maybe a pint of whole grape tomatoes and two rounds of Boursin cheese were put in a casserole dish large enough to become the final mixing bowl with some olive oil. I think, but am not positive, that garlic was added. The dish went into a hot oven for about 20 minutes, in which time the tomatoes burst. A fork was then used to roughly crush the tomatoes and cheese together. Hot pasta was added: mix mix, serve.

Cooking for two and concerned about fat, I personally thought two cheeses was big overkill and used only one (garlic and herb flavor, though the shallot/chive version would be as good). Additionally, I used a combination of fresh tomatoes on hand: 2 peeled romas (normally I consider tomato skin a good texture but the skins on these winter romas is very thick so I peeled them), a handful of yellow cherry tomatoes and some sugar-bomb grape tomatoes. I'd say I used 2 cups of tomatoes, 3 cloves of garlic and maybe 2 T olive oil. The whole cheese was then placed in the center and it went into a 400 degree oven, covered, for 20 minutes.

Not sure covering was necessary but I didn't want the cheese to form a crust, which it might have otherwise. And in fact, there's no reason why one couldn't do this on the stovetop. Meanwhile I cooked half a pound of spaghetti and chopped some parsley for color.

The ingredients are simple but the result is much more than the sum of the parts. We swooned over every bite. And yes, two cheeses would have been too much. Trader Joe's fermented black garlic bits sprinkled over the top was a great garnish.

Highly recommended!

Btw, locally, a single Boursin cheese runs about $9, but a trio of three is $10 at Costco.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: RCP: An exceptional Tomato-Boursin Pasta (vegetarian)

by Matilda L » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:15 am

There's a restaurant near our place that offers a similar thing as the speciality of the house - pure melted cheese stirred through pasta along with whichever of a selection of sauces you choose. They make a show of melting the cheese off the round, scooping it up and stirring it through before delivering it to the table.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:06 pm

I always like table-side preps. My favorite, akin to what you describe, is an Italian place that, when you order pasta carbonara, brings out a cart with a whole wheel of parmigiano reggiano on it. The wheel has a salad bowl-size dent in the top in which they toss the pasta and other ingredients. The heat of the pasta melts some of the cheese for the sauce.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:53 am

A bit of tableside showmanship can be fun.