Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A New Vinegar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

A New Vinegar

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:57 am

A friend who knows I am a lover of unusual olive oils and vinegars sent me Saratoga Olive Oil Co Pomegranate Quince Balsamic Vinegar. I just opened it yesterday and OMG it is fabulous! I have a couple of extra good balsamic but THIS one is a killer. Cannot wait to come up with a great salad to try it on. This one does not need any olive oil, just a few drizzles of it will be great. At least for the first go around. I am thinking there must be a nut, maybe pecan, and a cheese, maybe a good feta... any great ideas from you creative folks?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: A New Vinegar

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:55 pm

Karen, Sounds like an interesting vinegar to have fun with but quite a mix of flavors so I might try to complement/accentuate one rather than all. The pomegranate and quince combo is very typical of the cooking of Central Asia and the Caucasus- Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and the other 'stans. So this makes me think pistachio with pomegranate and walnut with quince. Typical cheeses are tangy sheep and/or goats milk feta. If you have any markets that have Central Asian groceries you may be able to find some interesting cheeses. I have seen small jars of marinated sheep's milk feta at some Costcos but have not tried them. My local market has very aged dry balls of sheeps milk feta in oil which are terrific in salads and baked dishes. Typical herbs are mint, dill and cilantro. You will always find a spritz of some acid - most typically lemon- just before serving soups to brighten flavors but I would not use this vinegar for that purpose.
Mamma Mia !