Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who's got a creative idea?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Who's got a creative idea?

by Matilda L » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:18 am

OK, I need some creative ideas, some inspiration.

Last night, the Francophile and I enjoyed oven-baked trout for dinner. It was delicious. However, we only ate half of it. We have the other half left. I'd thought "fishcakes" - but I'm sure there are other things that can be done to jazz up the leftovers. Or, for that matter, to jazz up the fishcakes.

Any suggestions?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Who's got a creative idea?

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:56 am

My immediate thought is to flake the trout and toss it over pasta with lemon, garlic, rocket, and a spoon of creme fraiche. You could swap out the garlic for some tarragon, if you like.

My second thought is a fish cake, which you're already on.

Third idea: As it's warm where you are, make a dip and have a cold supper: add fish to sour cream, cream cheese, minced scallion, paprika, lemon, Worcestershire. ((You could also make a fish pate but that's so much work....))

Fourth idea: fish tacos. Lots of emphasis on the crunchy shell, avocado, let+tom, salsa... to fill it out.

Fifth idea: This wouldn't be my pick but I have had clam hash so trout hash must be a thing: boil, cube, and sizzle some potatoes, adding a bit of diced red pepper or onion for interest, mix in the trout at the end, serve with a horseradish-cream sauce.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:37 am

Great ideas Jeff, and would be fine for almost any fish...maybe not salmon so much...but then I am not a fan of salmon. I do not dislike it, but find that Chilean Sea Bass, Halibut, Shrimp, Crab, more to my liking.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:32 pm

Or a simple fish and herb omelet for lunch or dinner?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:21 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Or a simple fish and herb omelet for lunch or dinner?

Frittata!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:13 am

All good ideas, and I'll work my way through them in the next times we have left-over fish.
It's 24 hours later, and we've just finished fish cakes with steamed greens, and a sweet and sour sauce to pour over the fish cakes. It was tasty and light - and I'm pleased to say that I'd got all the bones out of the flaked fish.