Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Eggplant 'flat bread' (video)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Eggplant 'flat bread' (video)

by Jenise » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:51 pm

Paulo Faustini who used to hang out here posted this on Facebook. He raved about it: thinly sliced eggplant pieces are tossed with leeks etc and stirred into a thick flour-water mixture then spread out on parchment and baked. The result browns beautifully on the bottom and becomes something crisp you can slice into squares with a knife, hence 'flatbread'. The demo is a little hard to watch--the guy's knife skills are not media-worthy--but I can't wait to try this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6q4PngSTmA
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Eggplant 'flat bread' (video)

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:55 am

Interesting recipe. I love eggplant and am always interested in new ways to prepare. During season, I cook eggplant several times a week, but almost always sauteeing. Sometimes I'll roast slices, and occasionally I will bake and then puree. But this could be a nice twist and fun match with different wines!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Paulo Faustini who used to hang out here posted this on Facebook. He raved about it: thinly sliced eggplant pieces are tossed with leeks etc and stirred into a thick flour-water mixture then spread out on parchment and baked. The result browns beautifully on the bottom and becomes something crisp you can slice into squares with a knife, hence 'flatbread'. The demo is a little hard to watch--the guy's knife skills are slow--but I can't wait to try this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6q4PngSTmA

I like watching those videos but how does one get the written recipe?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:18 pm

Karen, if you expand the gray box under the YouTube video and click on ...show more... you will find the printed recipe. Of course it is for an intuitive cook like yourself. Who knows what 1 eggplant and 2 onions, 1 glass of water actually means?? At least you see the whole process to get the idea.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:27 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting recipe. I love eggplant and am always interested in new ways to prepare. During season, I cook eggplant several times a week, but almost always sauteeing. Sometimes I'll roast slices, and occasionally I will bake and then puree. But this could be a nice twist and fun match with different wines!

Exactly! This is a technique I've never seen before. Might adapt well to other vegetables, like fennel!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:04 am

That looks interesting, certainly worth a try., I’ve got some eggplant.
I’m surprised the presenter still has all his fingers, I guess that’s a function of slow speed, watching it gave me the horrors.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:07 am

I had a number of thoughts watching the video of the first.

1) How big the fruit is, thus that a recipe in one region might no mean the same in another. I'd need two to get something like that same number of slices he does.

2) The advantage of edits. Did we really need to see him cut every slice?

3) How much salt he used
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm

Peter et al, another fault is that he served in in a basket crisp side down. First of all, the bottom's the most attractive side and secondly, you'd want it bottom side up just to protect crispness.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:03 pm

Peter May wrote:3) How much salt he used

Too much or too little?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:08 pm

Probably too much. I don't think Peter uses much salt. But criticizing that beyond the dessication step doesn't make a lot of sense, since as in any recipe that's always "to taste".
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:47 am

well, salt is a contentious issue, and if I made this dish it'd be my choice not to add salt in such quantity..

He liberally sprinkled the fruit slices with salt (one side only, strangely) but didn't wash off the salt, just patted the slices dry of any extracted water.

Then, after chopping the leek, parsley and onion and placing in a bowl with the fruit, he added a lot more salt, even though the fruit was already covered with it.

He made a water and flour batter to which he added more salt, so yes I thought the dish, light in vegetables, was overloaded with salt.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:38 pm

Peter, thoughtful explanation, though do understand I wasn't being critical. I just understand that you use less salt than I do; though yeah, I probably wouldn't have used as much as he did. Moreover, that's the kind of thing where, other than the dessication step, adding salt as a surface seasoner after the cook might be the most interesting flavor, like it is on a pretzel.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:17 am

I also thought it was odd that he did not rinse off the salt used in the dessication step.

As to the rest of the salting, my guess is that flour + water is pretty bland and adding salt is a quick way to liven things up.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:28 pm

Jeff, agree but figured it would pick up enough from the unrinsed eggplant.