Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Breakfast Pie & non-alcoholic Bucks Fizz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Breakfast Pie & non-alcoholic Bucks Fizz

by Christina Georgina » Thu May 11, 2023 8:41 am

....and the NYT disparages misinformation......for shame
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 11, 2023 11:19 am

I googled "breakfast pie" and got tons of quiche recipes--none of them the British Isles.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 pm

The Guardian was very jolly on the matter: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ely-should
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 11, 2023 3:18 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:....and the NYT disparages misinformation......for shame

You publish 200 articles a day for 171 years and then let's talk. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 12, 2023 12:19 pm

Peter, I'm as American as it gets and I've never heard of Breakfast pie. No idea how the Guardian came up with that. Ditto Buck's Fizz. Champagne and orange juice are called a Mimosa.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat May 13, 2023 7:02 am

Jenise wrote:Peter, I'm as American as it gets and I've never heard of Breakfast pie. No idea how the Guardian came up with that. Ditto Buck's Fizz. Champagne and orange juice are called a Mimosa.

Champagne and orange juice is called Mimosa in USA but here it's Bucks Fizz.

I like orange juice and I love Champagne, but I don't like them together in the same glass, so when offered one I ask for it without the orange juice, and as the recipe for Bucks fizz has twice as much Champagne than Mimosa I'd rather have a Bucks Fizz without the juice :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 13, 2023 11:41 am

Okie dokie, didn't realize that BF was the Brit name for it. Totally agree. Give them to me separate, in which case I might not even drink the fizz because it's usually lousy stuff. And hey, I'll skip the OJ if it's not fresh squeezed. As usual--it's the quality of the ingredients that matters, and I'm not the least bit excited by the 'naughty' prospect of having alcohol in the morning which, I think for some, is the whole idea.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun May 14, 2023 5:56 am

Jenise wrote: I'm not the least bit excited by the 'naughty' prospect of having alcohol in the morning which, I think for some, is the whole idea.

Me neither. Many hotels in Europe and the river cruise boat I've been on have sparkling wine on self pour on the breakfast buffet, and although I live fizz, I don't want it with breakfast.

However it depends on how I one have been up. On last months trip to Basel we were up at 04:15 for an 08:15 flight. In the BA lounge was self-pour Palmer & Cie Champagne of which I enjoyed a glass with my bacon roll.......
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 14, 2023 1:23 pm

Peter May wrote:On last months trip to Basel we were up at 04:15 for an 08:15 flight. In the BA lounge was self-pour Palmer & Cie Champagne of which I enjoyed a glass with my bacon roll.......

It probably would have gone great with a slice of English Breakfast Pie. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat May 20, 2023 3:14 am

Breakfast Pie is a new one on me, too. Not a term I'm familiar with. I have to say, the coronation came and went without any change to our household routine. No special food, no celebratory drinks. Didn't watch it on the telly. The media here did publish the recipe for the special Coronation Quiche that apparently was a feature of the official reception after the event. Maybe they circulated the recipe so the king's loyal subjects could all join in, eating the same stuff at home that he was eating at his celebration. I didn't fancy it myself, not a fan of broad beans.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat May 20, 2023 6:26 am

Matilda L wrote: Maybe they circulated the recipe so the king's loyal subjects could all join in, eating the same stuff at home that he was eating at his celebration.

The recipe was released long before Coronation Day and received a lot of publicity - and criticism about the not in-season ingredients and soggy-bottom. And use of a French word - quiche - from both the British and the French who said it wasn't a quiche

I did watch the ceremony, but didn't and won't make the quiche.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 20, 2023 3:39 pm

We recorded the coronation and watched it in bits over the week. Interesting, in a way, to see the clash of ancient and modern priorities and how they get dove-tailed.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun May 21, 2023 6:24 am

I’m not a monarchist by any stretch of the imagination but t did watch the coronation. In its way an historic moment. And I enjoy a bit of pomp and circumstance and the British do it very well.
I’m flabbergasted by the thought of the logistics involved both ceremoniously and diplomatically (all those world leaders eg.j
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 23, 2023 1:16 pm

We watched it too. I'm a live news junkie of sorts, and this kind of thing is irresistable. I note that they powdered Charles up to kill the redness in his cheeks and nose. A mistake, I thought, without the color he looks a lot older. And Barb, like you, I marvelled at the logistics. Without anyone seeming to be in charge, a lot of bodies seamlessly went back and forth between singing and pageantry like they all do all this every day of their lives.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed May 24, 2023 3:56 am

Powder, who would have thought, I did think both Charles and Camilla were looking older.