Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Black Garlic

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Black Garlic

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:57 pm

I have done some research on Black Garlic after learning about it here. It seems that Harmoni whole black garlic heads are rated on top of many other Black Garlic types. Reviews are great, easy peel and I have even found some great recipes I want to try, especially potato salad made with black garlic. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R348BZV/re ... he-6022-20
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Black Garlic

by Jenise » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:04 pm

I don't have experience with a variety of brands, but am currently using, and happy with, this one, also available on Amazon. I got it for $6 at Grocery Outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKV2B5MB/re ... GhlbWF0aWM
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:41 pm

Thanks Jenise, if you like it, I'm sure i will, as well. Also ordered TJ's black garlic. New ingredients for me, fun, fun!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:46 pm

That Amazon posting suggests eatign straight as a snack. Um, interesting idea.

I think I had that brand before, most recent was something different (was offered on Yummy Bazaar, but not showing now), liked both. Great with pasta, mushrooms, etc. Really like stuffed under skin of roast chicken.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:25 am

The black garlic arrived last week and I have been playing with it. I really like Trader Joe's black garlic sprinkles. Not only does it look great on food, but it has good flavor. I really like it over the top of asiago shredded cheese on top of a very thin slice of sourdough bread toasted. I put the cheese on immediately out of toaster and add the garlic sprinkles. I've put it on my salad for lunch, it is great on hard boiled eggs, in scrambled eggs, so far. Then the other purchase was a jar of whole garlic heads, fermented. Easy to peel the whole head and a large single garlic round is there . I decided to add a bit of butter with olive oil in a pan and was hoping the garlic head could be smashed and mixed into the sauce. I added cabbage steaks into the pan and later beet greens. I had to leave the pan for a few minutes and I must have had the heat up too high because when I got back that sauce had burned onto the pan. It was still edible but not what I wanted. I intended to add a little chicken stock. Not sure what to do with the whole heads other than eating them as is, which is what is suggested. I think it would be good mixed into mashed potatoes, but not sure the color would be appealing.