Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking the Bear

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Cooking the Bear

by Peter May » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:17 pm

I've read about, but never seen The Bear* but those that have might enjoy this article in The Guardian where the writer cooks eight of the dishes.

Quote - To ramp up the tension, I’ve invited friends and family over to sample my cooking, all of whom would delight in my failure.
But hey, I’ve got a heavyweight white T-shirt, a blue apron and an internet connection. What more do I need?

Quote - By some margin, this is the best cake I’ve ever had. I will never make it again.
Quote - come out looking like turds, and no amount of artistic carving improves the situation.

*Because it's on YAFSS

(YAFSS = yet another flaming streaming service)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cooking the Bear

by Jenise » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:38 pm

I read that earlier today before seeing your note--it's fun, though his skill set is so dismal he pretty much lost me with that picture of the Italian beef. Not. Even. Close. Loved loved loved the series but I have to admit it didn't occur to me to make any of the food. Most of the food didn't intrigue me (the mortadella canoli did, though) or at least I understood them enough to not need to replicate them, i.e. cola braised short ribs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov